Garmin TR1 Gold Problems

Big Water

As of last week, I started having issues with the TR1 on my boat.  It controls only my 9.9 Honda kicker.  Recently, I noticed that the unit seemed to have issues with steering the boat to the port.  I checked the hydraulic fluid and it was low so I refilled it.  It seemed a little better for a 1/2 day and now it seems completely unable to hold a course.  when sitting at the dock and activating the unit, it seems to adjust course both port and starboard, but on open water it just steers in large circles either port or starboard.  Any ideas?  Do you know of anyone in the Wilson area that could troubleshoot the unit?  I'm assuming the boat wouldn't need to be trailered to repair since all of the components except the hydraulic cylinder on the motor are in the boat and that can be accessed by raising the kicker.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Doug

First thing to check is your compass ball, make sure it is still mounted with the wires hanging straight down and that there is no ferrous metal around it ( tools, fishing equipment, ect ).  Hopefully it is something simple like this, if not I would talk with Kevin at the Boat Yard to see if he can help you. 

First thing to check is your compass ball, make sure it is still mounted with the wires hanging straight down and that there is no ferrous metal around it ( tools, fishing equipment, ect ).  Hopefully it is something simple like this, if not I would talk with Kevin at the Boat Yard to see if he can help you. 

Thanks,  I did contact Garmin and they recommended the same thing.  The ball is oriented as it should be with ball wires hanging straight down and no ferrous materials near it.  It is in a compartment by itself and nothing has changed in that regard.  Any other thoughts?

I would check the power supply to make sure I had a good 12v, no loose or corroded connections or battery issues. Low voltage can cause all sorts of problems with electronics.

Also check the connection where the compass ball plugs into the hydraulic unit (plug #4)

It sounds like the unit is working OK mechanically so I'm thinking it might be a problem with the compass ball??  I don't know anyway of checking it without sending it in to Garmin or just swapping it out. 

It will be tough to fish without it, I know I'm spoiled by mine. 

I would check the power supply to make sure I had a good 12v, no loose or corroded connections or battery issues. Low voltage can cause all sorts of problems with electronics.

Also check the connection where the compass ball plugs into the hydraulic unit (plug #4)

It sounds like the unit is working OK mechanically so I'm thinking it might be a problem with the compass ball??  I don't know anyway of checking it without sending it in to Garmin or just swapping it out. 

It will be tough to fish without it, I know I'm spoiled by mine. 

Yeah.  My next move is to try recalibrating, which requires a flat lake.  :(    Then I'll bleed the hydraulics and maybe replace the hydraulic motor,  I have pm'd Kevin, but haven't heard back yet.  I spent last weekend trolling the big motors and steering manually.  What a pain!  I'm spoiled too!

Check your voltage first.

I just replaced my Compass and it was around $650.  To check to see if there is any magnetic interference take a hand held compass and move it around your compass ball and see if the needle jumps around.  If not then you should not have any interference.  Also, if it is your pump, Calumet Marine has rebuilt pumps in stock.  A lot cheaper than new.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Doug

Have you found the problem yet?

I called Garmin again and described the problem.  They felt confident it wasn't the pump and that it sounded like air in the lines.  I bled the lines (maybe a little air there) and it worked fine for 2 1/2 hours.  It then made a sharp starboard turn and I couldn't control the boat with the handheld.  I shut it down and tried again.  It wouldn't respond.  I intend to pull the unit and sent it back for testing this fall.

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem with my original TR-1, I find Garmin a little lacking recently on product knowledge (recently). On my unit it would do a hard port, I would shut it off and on the restart it would be fine, for half hour and then hard port. Garmin sent me a new CPU, and although it was a couple months out of warranty they covered it, worked fine after that, it was an easy fix.

My unit the Fluid keeps getting low! Not sure where im loosing it! Does anyone have problems with the cylinders leaking?

Mine was actually losing fluid from the pump. It's either that or your lines. I replaced the pump and it works fine.