Problem with Cannon Dual Axis Rod Holders

BTW I only use dipseys when I go out to Ontatrio in August so it isn't the torque of the dipsey rod causing it. It is crap machining when the hole for the pin is to large for the pin. The whole point of a roll pin is to grab and hold in a hole without needing to accurately size the hole.

Junk.

Spike

Edited by CaptSpike

I'll tell ya. If they break and I lose equipment, there buying it. For how much they are they shouldn't have any issues. Also I'm not making improvements to something that's that expensive. We will see eh?

Look at the swivel base that broke on Tileman Dan's Cannon riggers. That shouldn't be either. Makes me feel that I should tie a piece of wire cable to my new Cannons

While on the rod holder subject, I just put 2 sets of these on my boat. Now I hate to ask but how long can I expect these Big Jon holders to last?

post-143614-0-94749500-1435350215_thumb.jpg

Edited by Patriot

While on the rod holder subject, I just put 2 sets of these on my boat. Now I hate to ask but how long can I expect these Big Jon holders to last?

FOREVER ! I have used those BJ's for years USA made.

Edited by bigblue

Greg, I've had 2 sets of those for over a decade and have had no issues. If it ever stops raining long enough for me to rig it, they will be going on my new ride.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Tim Bromund

Greg, I've had 2 sets of those for over a decade and have had no issues. If it ever stops raining long enough for me to rig it, they will be going on my new ride.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What did you get Tim? I was wondering if you found a boat yet.

Greg

• 1 month later...

Update: cannon said send them in and they'll look at them and replace if necessary. Said it would only take a week. Well in the middle of the season I'm not trusting a week estimate for time without holders. So I looked the issue over and came up with a solution. I inserted a 4-40 x 1.5 long pan head stainless screw thru the roll pin with a my lock nut on the other end. Washers on each side as well. No way the pin will come out now. Profile is low enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

Spike

Update: cannon said send them in and they'll look at them and replace if necessary. Said it would only take a week. Well in the middle of the season I'm not trusting a week estimate for time without holders. So I looked the issue over and came up with a solution. I inserted a 4-40 x 1.5 long pan head stainless screw thru the roll pin with a nylock nut on the other end. Washers on each side as well. No way the pin will come out now. Profile is low enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

Spike

Edited by CaptSpike

I have twenty of these rod holders. I set them up for tree use just like the cannon YouTube account/ pro staff video shows. It does not work for tree use for my planer board lines. I have to put a stainless pin in the ratchet section of the handle or else the holder will fall to the laid out position. Cannon told me every boat fishes differently. I told them no, its set up like yours. They said, then try someone else.

If I didn't have so much invested they would be gone. Finishing out this season and going traxtech instead.

Nick

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-145590-14386946414276_thumb.jpg

I have twenty of these rod holders. I set them up for tree use just like the cannon YouTube account/ pro staff video shows. It does not work for tree use for my planer board lines. I have to put a stainless pin in the ratchet section of the handle or else the holder will fall to the laid out position. Cannon told me every boat fishes differently. I told them no, its set up like yours. They said, then try someone else.

If I didn't have so much invested they would be gone. Finishing out this season and going traxtech instead.

Nick

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Careful with Traxstech. He's "special". Call tony at great lakes planers next time.

silverfoxcharters.net

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/22/2014 at 11:42 PM, Captain Carl Bish said:

I tend to use things like this a little more than most....but I will sell 10 of them to you for a total of $800 .... If you care to put your money where your mouth is..... Call me and they are yours...716-560-2878

he can get brand new from hodges marine for 86.45 each with free shipping. why would he want to pay 80.00 for used? just saying.

13 hours ago, Rookie Fisherman said:

Has Cannon corrected this issue? Have a friend setting up a boat and the current cost on these is reasonable compared to other ratcheting holders. Of course if its still a known issue then the price is irrelevant.

51 minutes ago, Gator said:

:rofl:. The post you're responding to is almost six years old. :rofl:

No idea how it showed up on your radar, but it made me chuckle. Thank you.

It was because of the post above his, I brought it back up to see if Cannon has corrected this problem. 

Don't think Sherman realized it was the only new post in this thread. I Probably should have just started a new one:smile:

But if anyone knows if Cannon has corrected this issue I would like to hear about it.

1 hour ago, Rookie Fisherman said:

It was because of the post above his, I brought it back up to see if Cannon has corrected this problem. 

Don't think Sherman realized it was the only new post in this thread. I Probably should have just started a new one:smile:

But if anyone knows if Cannon has corrected this issue I would like to hear about it.

sorry guys but I didnt notice it was such an old thread. I have single axis and used then a few times a yr for 3 yrs with no problems. sure hope cannon fixed the problem.

I don't know if Cannon corrected the problem, but I can tell you it's not wide spread. I've had 2 where the pin wobbles out, and Cannon has replaced both. There are breakaway parts on these rod holders so the rod holder itself doesn't get damaged. I've been through a couple of those. I don't think there is a need to worry. If your buddy is local to Lake Ontario I can get him whatever Cannon products he looking for.

I don't fish as many days a year as Yankee - but have had the dual axis holder on my boat for 5 seasons and not a single issue - I have 18 of them and to date have only broken a couple of the plastic breakaway parts which were replaced for less than $5.  Both times they broke were due to operator error as my 8 year old decided to try and hang off of them....

10 hours ago, AnglingAddict said:

I don't fish as many days a year as Yankee - but have had the dual axis holder on my boat for 5 seasons and not a single issue - I have 18 of them and to date have only broken a couple of the plastic breakaway parts which were replaced for less than $5.  Both times they broke were due to operator error as my 8 year old decided to try and hang off of them....

Is that what I have to look forward to?