Big old Chautauqua brown

Dad and I have been fishing muskies at Chq pretty regularly on the weekends since 98. We've had quite a few nice 48 to 49.5" fish there, but never a 50". After all these years, Chautauqua finally gave up a dark 50.25" to Dad yesterday. Released well. What a day! post-150846-14059088197437_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Ivan

......Oh, and BTW....

The biggest muskie I ever caught at Chautauqua was 50", the biggest I ever seen a picture of was 51".I was hesitate to post the 53" catch, but the information came from a reliable source, that same person also called me back to tell me he found out it was a hoax.

Maybe Chautauqua Lake isn't so Hot. There can be lots of rumors and exaggerations in our sport.

:thinking:   :lol:    :yes:

We fished a friend's private tourney at Chautauqua the previous weekend, so we did not enter the Three Rivers Tourney...just wanted to fish without any restrictive rules or times.  

I think the tourney went well based on the somewhat limited participation. I think there were about 12 teams/boats in the tourney.  It was a total points/total inches tourney. I think the first place team had 7 fish, but nothing very big.  I think second place had a 46" and maybe a couple smaller fish.  Third place had 5 fish, I believe.  Had we entered and still caught what we did, Dad and I would have had first place, big fish, and the 50" pot.  But, that's ok...never know if we would have caught what we did if we were actually in the tourney. We also ran our large boards off masts all weekend, which would have been against the rules for the Three Rivers tourney.

I support the Three Rivers Chapter, but I'm just not into competitive fishing much anymore.  I put enough pressure on myself to produce as it is and like to fish how and when I want to fish.

I am still willing to help promote a fund raising tourney for next year if you need the help.

Ivan I couldnt agree more.  Fishing in the ocaisional tourney is fun and you meet a lot of great guys, but the added pressure changes everything.  A fish like that caught and released is special enough on it its own.  I love the very early morning and evening on the water most and many events you miss both.  Plus, looking at the time while fishing is no fun.  I wouldnt want to give up my otters either.

Good job mike. Congrats on the tourney finish. I thought i saw a black kicker on the crestliner. You didn't waste any time...what did you buy?

Adam its dark blue I bought another evinrude . Thanks for the congrats. Prob will run into you again up there sometime.

Thanks again guys. We haven't even been able to get back on the water since Dad got that fish. Can't wait to get back to Chq one of these weekends.

Cody...nice of you to say about international, but we won't fish enough the rest of the year to keep up with those guys now. I just try to get a little better, personally, every year.

Its usually a guy that fishes LSC all season that wins the international release contest. My friend Tad has been fishing alot this year and has been tearing them up. He has a chance at first without any LSC fish... That would be impressive.