Why is my line eating up my slide divers?

it does sound impossible.  it must be slipping (which still means the mono is biting into it) because I didn't take a fish on that diver the last trip when the ring came back sliced.

Here's your problem, right here:

post-146980-0-25657700-1406039797_thumb.jpg

Hey brokeoff, I have run slidedivers for years and never had that happin to any of mine, if i had to "guess" i would say it is sliding down all the way to your spoon and between the action of the spoon being right near the diver and the movement of the diver it is doing the damage. It is hard to tell from the picture of your green slidediver how you have your surgical tube but, I talked to a guy from the company a few years back @ a outdoor show and he told me if I was running braid on them and they were slipping to try turning the piece of surgical tube that your line runs through sideways before locking it down and it would stop it...maybe for some reason this is happing to you even though you are running mono...good luck.

Edited by madsierra

i agree longline.  but why isnt it happening to anyone else who runs them?

It is hard to tell from the picture of your green slidediver how you have your surgical tube

i never tried turning the tubing b/c it is just thick mono.  thought it would pinch and hold. also i stopped using the spring on the diver arm after reading another thread where guys said you don't need it when running them on mono, maybe i will go back to using it.

this was without the ring about a month ago.  was brand new ran for 8 hrs

Just an observation from your pic, but are you turning the weight towards the back of your dipsey?  It should be turned toward the front (towards the boat).

BrokeOff,I think the bottom picture of longline is your problem. It seems maybe your new weight you changed to is too heavy and making the diver stand vertical in water pulling line across edge of diver. Sure you have same size diver as others? I take it your using #1 size diver & is the spring the line goes through long enough to get correct bend to pull diver at correct angle. Hope this helps.

BrokeOff,I think the bottom picture of longline is your problem. It seems maybe your new weight you changed to is too heavy and making the diver stand vertical in water pulling line across edge of diver. Sure you have same size diver as others? I take it your using #1 size diver & is the spring the line goes through long enough to get correct bend to pull diver at correct angle. Hope this helps.

first picture i posted where the diver is really grooved is right out of the package.  a size 1 no alterations run for one day of trolling.

Edited by BrokeOff

Did you take the light bite arms off?  These arms hold the line up and off the tail edge of your divers stopping the line from eating into the divers.  Take a look at this link.  http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CE4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slidediver.com%2Fimg%2FSlideDiver.pdf&ei=8ijPU8CnGs-wyATHs4D4BQ&usg=AFQjCNE9mFwQyS3EoiGhM0w5IaaYOfUCRQ&sig2=8p8rzYuLrPsQZtG-HElQDg

i did not take the light bite arms off.  they are regular slide divers not lite bite slide divers.  the way kings hit i did not feel the extra $8 a peice was necessary for the lite bite version.  i can't remember a time i dragged a fish on a diver.  rigger or copper sure but not a diver.  but if i had the lite bites i probably would not have this problem

In the picture of the green diver I don't see the spring the mono is supposed to go through and attach to release arm with a piece of surgical tubing. My guess is running the diver without that piece is changing the angle and causing your problem. I run both the regular slide divers and lite bites without any issues. If you use braid a solid piece of tubing is to be used instead of the spring that is used with mono. Add that spring and you should be good to go.

i will go back to using the spring.  the reason i stopped using the spring was the diver would hang up on the line and not slide all the way to the bead during retrieval. but that is better than having ruined slide divers

I run a lite bite diver on 30# big game without the spring or the light bite arm with no issues, with that being said I usually run it on the 2 or 2.5 setting. I have no idea what is happening to Broke Off

My hunch is that the problem may lie in the 4 oz. weight you put in it too much for it turning it on a severe angle

My brain must be wired differently........ i would have already sent the pics  to U Charters, the people who make Slide Divers and got an answer from them. ...As a side note, Ive been running wire Slide Divers, with a 15' mono leader for years and have never seen this, even running the new 7oz. magnum weight kits.

Yep emailed them last month when the first diver got destroyed and they sent me a new one right away.  Great customer service.  said they'd never seen this before.  Then I tried last week with the diver they sent using a ring I had and same thing happen.  I didn't email again thats when I posted here, thought someone else would have the same kind of story but not looking like it.

J.D. on your wire slide divers, what setting do you use? and do you use the spring?

BrokeOff, I run on every setting except 0, and I do use the spring. I will tell you the mag diver weights on a low setting dig in at a steep angle, but I don't see the wear prodlems you do........

( running out to boat.... checking mag diver rings before clicking on the post button..... rings look good....... click Post button now...)

Edited by J.D.

Set it ,  spit on the line ,grab the diver & see if it slips. Looks like it is slipping to me by the groves. Plumbers cut pipe in awkward spots w/ a piece of chalkline like a 2 ring wire saw and it works great. Braid has to  cut  even better. We have to use special knots for braid because the waxy lube the put on it make regular knots slip .

I use a 40 or so piece of mono & set my slider at the knot.

• 2 weeks later...

here's an update:

used slide diver with a new ring on sunday (old one eaten by line).  slightly better results using the spring and 40# mono.  this time on a 2 setting.  still getting grooves though.....

the grooves are far away from where the line exits the diver.  i dont think these are from slippage.  im pretty sure they happened when the diver tripped and slid down the line.  i ran 8" flashers behind the slide diver.

post-150314-0-01135600-1407196168_thumb.jpg