Smallmouth in Canandaigua Lake

firsec36

Seems this year there's no smallies in the lake. Anyone got any info on what's going. Been going out there regularly and I can't find them. I have spoken with other boats and no one is catching them either. Thanks for any info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For two years in a row there has been a huge die off of many warm water species especially perch, rock bass, smallmouth and bullheads mainly but also some trout as well.My hunch is that is some of it anyway.

I wonder if this might be a common or regular situation in the fingers. Or anywhere else for that matter. With certain species populations rising and falling periodically in waters anywhere. Maybe some DEC or bigtime fisheries and watershed biology institutions have some insight here...?

That would be cool to hear from a biologist. To me it seemed offly sudden that the bass fishing became non existent but I'm hoping it's a periodically thing.

That would be cool to hear from a biologist. To me it seemed offly sudden that the bass fishing became non existent but I'm hoping it's a periodically thing.

My thoughts exactly. Like the similar downturn, just on the south shore east and west of Rochester for smallies in the Big O. Also, Honeoye used to be really good for lots of smallies (with an occasional largemouth mixed in) especially at the north end close to shore in the spring. If you wanted predominantly smallies, jig in shallow; largemouths mostly, go out a little further.....like clockwork. This was in the 80's and 90's; now it seems those numbers of smallies at the north end are down (could be my fishing technique). And the sudden frequency of sheepshead being caught in the Big O watershed, including new state record (devoknevo! :rock: ). As well as, from reading here in LOU, the banner year for muskies in Chautauqua, always a good musky lake. But, other than obvious influences of stocking programs, and other intended or unintended human introductions (gobies, kings, steelies, browns, bighead or silver carp) fish like bass and sheepshead, which are hardy and adaptable, are they also subject to periodic fluctuations in population? Or, is this all a reflection of human environmental affects like habitat or pollution changes. Probably would be nice to compare pristine watershed conditions and populations for comparison. And, global warming.....which could change everything (like MIO: u know, that add-to-water drink maker....."It changes everything!".... :mmm:  ).

Some great opinions from all. For my two cents, I agree that lake o especially, has a definite population of smallies but they are much more concentrated in smaller areas. I believe that only ones with very good electronics can be successful. As I have seen tournaments in Irondequoit and sodus with several people having 15-20+lb bags of five fish. All from going in the lake. Unfortunately most of us cant afford gps controlled trolling motors and 2000 fish finders. I still go and try but to no luck hope one day it will be better!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The problem in Canandaigua was bacterial and viral infections. On Honeoye the blue/green algae may have had some impact on the fish. The large mouths are very over populated there and mave probably "out competed" the smallies because of the excessive grass growth there. Also, the sunnys and gills are very strong there and probably eat a lot of the eggs in the Spring

Yes, there may be something to the out competing....and with habitat changes in Honeoye. You say "bug" infections in Canandaigua Sk8man?....I'm thinking possibly in Honeoye the larger (seemingly) healthy population of smallies in the 80's and such may have been a direct result of the slowdown in weed intensity after the sewer lines were put in all around the lake, creating a more amenable quality for smallies. The good number of largemouths were always present. But, beside the healthy numbers and size of smallies there (I caught a nice 5lber there about 6years ago), I remember lots of real nice quality largemouths (3-5lbers) being caught; not multitudes of 12 inch and less fish. I'm sure sizes are still in there of both biggies and smallies, but it just does not seem that the smallies are where they used to be in numbers....in Honeoye. I've dabbled a little (from shore) at Canadice and found a nice mix of happy and healthy black bass of both types willing and able to get after it in mid-late spring. All of the fingers have good populations of both.....I believe they will continue to do so, with fluctuation......but why the changes happen is intriguing........ ? :thinking: ?.......and a little disconcerting maybe..... :shake: