Finger lakes trolling.

Masters of the fingers,

I will be spending next week on Cayuga and am wondering if the big pond trolling gear applies to the fingers.  I have two mag wire dipsy rods and a ten color core, no riggers.  Wondering what I should run behind these and any other pertinent info would be much appreciated.  I will also be jigging when wheather permits.   

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Black and purple spoons. Pinks, oranges, greens. Flasher fly rigs set close to bottom will take Lakers on the wire. 60 to 120 fow. But don't be afraid to run right up the middle.

RR

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Certainly not a "master" of the Fingers (I don't believe there is one we all have our days but that is about it :lol: )

I think you will be OK without the riggers right now as there are probably  fish suspended in the 50 ft range over whatever (10 color lead core) and wire divers with Flashers or Spinneys and flies generally work well especially with white and or green flies. Of concern is the level of fleas and possible weed pods depending on where you go. I've had better luck with medium and small spoons rather than the magnum sizes but some folks claim they do Ok with them.  If it is calm and you can locate the fish jigging is productive....white jigs and white super flukes or white tubes usually work well on the Fingers.

Edited by Sk8man

I like what Les said about the smaller spoons. When I fish the fingers I always downsize my spoons, sometimes to even laughable sizes. But im noticing that out of the whole spread the small spoons will take fish much more often than mag or even medium ones will. And of course my favorite color schemes involve a little bit of pink. Let us know how you do out there

I always like what Les suggests and what everyone else has suggested. Along with those flasher flys for lakers, don't hesitate to keep to the lighter side with some flutters. (Suttons, evil eyes, FLT spoons). The reports on Land Locks has been crazy. And if all else fails, grab the rod with a 1oz white fluke and enjoy jigging.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I think together all of us put together a "plan" for him :)  Good info from all. You're under pressure to perform now jjfishes :lol:

All,

Thanks so much for the responses.  I definitly feel the pressure to perform.  I will give reports while there if they have wifi.  Looking forward to a fun week full of fish, friends and the other f word.  Thats right Food.  well ok the forth f word would be the perfect scenario.  :)

Jay

Hi, I do sell several styles of lake trout jigs on quality hooks, I use Mustad black nickel.  (thanks Ed.)  1 oz. ball and 1.25 oz are the most popular.   Unfortunately my store isn't fully stocked with painted heads, I only have unpainted ones at the moment.  http://deepwater.cayugafisher.net/ They still work fine and catch fish, I've caught derby fish on them unpainted, but if you prefer colors (whites and chartreuses are best, same as trolling) I'd check eBay or elsewhere online.  But that'll give you an idea of what to look for.

Also unfortunately (and the reason I started making these) is that Bass Pro sucks for laker jigging supplies.  They have several brands of soft plastics that are good, but the jig head selection is poor.  Best you'll see is a 3/4 oz on a bottom of the line Eagle Claw hook.    They do have a few good jigging spoons but plastics are usually better on Cayuga.  

If you're doing other fishing and just want to buy a few jigs while in town, I'd check the bait shops, Bear's at Myer's Park in Lansing and Hook Line and Sinker at the bottle place downtown. Last I saw they had a few bucktails.  You could probably get okay plastics like Flukes at Dick's Sporting Goods at the mall, but they are very poor for everything fishing related. I can also meet folks sometimes.  Good luck!

Alec

Hermit is correct.  Barneys bait and tackle in Myers park in Lansing sells 1oz - 1 1/2oz jig heads and some limited plastics.  The 1oz heads are made by a local guy that used high quality hooks.  there 3$ each  The 1 1/2oz hooks didn't look so hot if I remember correctly.

Edited by vogel451

Gentleman,

I would like to thank all of you again for the tips. Went to get spoons and some spinnies yesterday. 10 new dw super slims in the arsenal. This truly is one of the best sights. Packed and chomping at the bit to get to the lake. I look forward to posting some reports. My wife would like to know if there are any resturaunts for lunch or dinner lake side or by car that you would recommend. Hermit, I might be giving you a call if I can't locate jigs to see if we can hook up.

Thanks again,

Jay

Jay, if ur at the north end you can dock at the Ramada (new docks just north side of long pier) and either eat there at the restaurant at the hotel or go from there and walk to pub type eateries like Eddie obriens and such downtown geneva.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Jay, if ur at the north end you can dock at the Ramada (new docks just north side of long pier) and either eat there at the restaurant at the hotel or go from there and walk to pub type eateries like Eddie obriens and such downtown geneva.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

geneva ????....