Devo's sheephead unlimited!

Well, there you go "panfisher" and co.!

......be one of the first to join this new and somewhat exciting exclusive group of sheepheads!

Facebook: "Sheepshead-unlimited.com"

dE\/_0//////

Edited by devoknevo

Well. They're ya go! This will spread and bring new respect and admiration for that All-American fish......sheepheads (or is it sheepsheads?). All across the eastern half of North America. Well, for sheepie's sake, hopefully not too crazy.... ;)   :rock:

We got some nice sheepshead out of the Oswego harbor when fishing for browns.I hit the like button for ya.I remember as a kid fishing at lake Champlain we would get Em on worms.lolThen we would go to the creeks and use drag nets to get suckers and run huge homemade orange spinner rigs with a 10 or 12 inch suckers behind.Got my largest pike ever.That lake really held some monster pike back in the earlly 80's

For a while we thought it was an old boot of a king, it was peeling line out but just not at the same rate as a king would...long steady lazy run.

This was caught chasing the fall migratory run of Walleye on the Bay of Quinte and was part of a double-header.  I thought the one I landed was big...you can see Aaron is still fighting the other beast hehehe

Autumn10-033-1.jpg

They certainly do battle, in their own unique way  :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

tonyb.....U said unofficial provincial record on that big sheepie. Any true submission for it....? Anything come of it? Or just in typical sheepshead fashion....just let him go and go about the daily grind of life.... :yawn: They just sort of look that way! :lol: But they do put up a fight and....NEWS FLASH......they are good on the table too!!

pasted from a post from....  EsoxAC3

Panfisher,
I tried sheepshead for the first time 2 years ago. I had read up on them and to your earlier point are closely related to fish that make excellent table fare.... Long story short, the meat is delicious. I have fried with egg wash and dipped in italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese - very good. Also, cooked on grill in aluminum foil with butter, salt, pepper, capers, dill, and dry white wine- excellent.
Highly recommend this overlooked fish for both fight and table fare.
Attached is a pic of a 16# sheepshead I brought in on my perch rod. What a fight! Good luck. Tight lines.ImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1407618570.980546.jpg

:)

I'm keeping the next one I get!

Get your FREAK on!!

Hey pikefreak, lets bang the Drum and have a BBQ!

...one of those 15lber's should be enough to feed the whole neighborhood!

dE\/_0

One of the days that it was too rough to fish the lake, we stopped near the channel markers in I-bay (thanks Pikefreak) and my 12yr old son got a 5lber on a rattlin rap.  It was fun on light tackle and my wife insisted we keep it since it looked like some fish she regularly ate in Guatemala.  Sure enough, it was pretty darn tasty.

Wow.......we may have to petition DEC to look into daily limits of these babys now. It is finally getting its due respect and recognition! And yes, they do range natively into those troubled Central American countries (kids and families leaving because of gangs of idiots). GO GO GASPERGOO! Sheepsheads Unlimited!!   :ninja:

Wow.......we may have to petition DEC to look into daily limits of these babys now. It is finally getting its due respect and recognition! And yes, they do range natively into those troubled Central American countries (kids and families leaving because of gangs of idiots). GO GO GASPERGOO! Sheepsheads Unlimited!!   :ninja:

:yes:  :yes:  :yes:     :bandit: Your killing me pan,

..seriously though, next spring: Sheepshead Unlimited will be having the first annual, invitational BBQ Drum party. Stay tuned fellow sheep-heads.

Do I sense a slight hint of sarcasm?

Nope, he was serious mopsy.

We have several deals in the works with sponsors as we speak.

........I highly recomend "Reef Runner" lures for one.

Man I gotta learn to fish for those! Looks like a lot of fun to meIII

Yo....zim298.....sheepies are easy to catch, at least for now. They are a native fish that live in lakes and streams throughout the eastern half of North America down into Central America south of Mexico. Just fish as if you are trying to catch bass, walleye or anything else. Starting in around June or so (at least here in the northeast) they begin to chow on crabs and minnows and such. Before that, they supposedly eat......FLIES! Yes, all kinds of flies. I don't know...I read this in Wikipedia (just punch in sheepshead or freshwater drum for details). Most people run into them while looking for other fish. This seems to be a strong year for them in this region of their range. With new found popularity and respect, or just natural non-human influences (they are a hardy breed, but not a lot of folks fish for them exclusively), they may play hard to get in the near future. Who knows....?   :dull:  :shake:

Edited by panfisher

Yo....zim298.....sheepies are easy to catch, at least for now. They are a native fish that live in lakes and streams throughout the eastern half of North America down into Central America south of Mexico. Just fish as if you are trying to catch bass, walleye or anything else. Starting in around June or so (at least here in the northeast) they begin to chow on crabs and minnows and such. Before that, they supposedly eat......FLIES! Yes, all kinds of flies. I don't know...I read this in Wikipedia (just punch in sheepshead or freshwater drum for details). Most people run into them while looking for other fish. This seems to be a strong year for them in this region of their range. With new found popularity and respect, or just natural non-human influences (they are a hardy breed, but not a lot of folks fish for them exclusively), they may play hard to get in the near future. Who knows....?   :dull:  :shake:

Thanks panfisher I'll give it a shot. The saltwater Red Drum aka redfish if my favorite fish, period. If I can start learning the habits and catch their freshwater cousin I'll be a happy man. I wonder if they are a direct relative of the sheepshead we catch in saltwater.....

zim298.....No relation. As you said, freshwater sheepshead, aka freshwater drum or (I love it) gaspergoo, is a direct cousin of the famed redfish (red drum). Also related to seatrout (aka speckled trout [not brook trout], or squeteage or weakfish), black drum, and about 250+ other species of good eating and sport fish on both coasts and worldwide. That Atlantic Ocean saltwater sheepshead is in a different unrelated family. It has another favorite family member, porgie (scup). Hey....check out this link about saltwater sheepsheads.....

The sheepshead fish has human teeth, but it's okay because ..