Niagara River Musky Reports

Chad, Thanks for the picture rotation!Steve 3/4 of the NMA members Biggest Muskies have all been at night! Just as I predicted back in May, if more fishermen got out at night many more bigger muskies would be caught, well they have been caught but by a hand full of us going out, still not many fishing even with many being caught at night, more guys from Canada out, but not local NY fishermen!

Edited by mostlymuskies

Today when the wind switched North from East at 2 pm the muskies turned on, caught 45",40" & 34" muskies in 1 1/2 hours, then washed lures till 8 pm.Downsized today because water was very clear, went to Wiley 5 1/2" Jtd in Golden Brown Perch color,60 ft of Leadcore at 2.0 mph.

No snow as of 7:37 am, headed out to get a few hours in before the snow starts dropping.Probably going to be snowed off the water Thursday & Friday.Worried that the snow may bring about a water temp drop fast and slowdown the fishing for the last few remaining days.Update: I got to to Sheridan Launch and the river had rolling waves from wind again'st the current.I have tried fishing in these conditions before, spray tossed up turns you and the whole inside of the boat a sheet of ice when outside temps are in the 20's.So I went back home!

Edited by mostlymuskies

Ok, sometimes these muskies have you doing things without the best of judgement.Late yesterday afternoon I decided that it was only a little snow flurries so I could go out.Drove to Buffalo Ave Launch and headed toward Navy Island.Passing the North G.I. Bridge the whitecaps from NW wind hitting the current were brutal.Once up again'st the North side of Navy Island it was calm, trolled the 11 ft ledge.Managed one 33" dink that took a Perchbait and came in like a stick of wood.Then at 6:45 pm the snow came down like a blizzard, l could not see the front of the boat. We started back following the gps trail back, still took over an hour with nerves on edge.Back at the ramp the snow was 4" deep,4 - wheel drive low and sliding sideways just got the boat up the ramp.No more fishing in the snow, I will wait for it to stop Friday night! Today's North winds pushing the surface of Lake Erie away from Buffalo has allowed warmer water to be pulled from the bottom of the lake.The water temp was 38.8 degrees last night, today it's back up to 41.3 degrees.Now if it does not snow to much the temps will stay warm enough to fish Saturday,Sunday & Monday!

Edited by mostlymuskies

I'm going to have to take the snow blower to the launch tomorrow!10" of snow off the boat cover and ceramic heater drying it out.Roads are just to bad, snow covered, to pull the boat down to the water this morning.After last nights snow episode I will wait unti the snow is done dropping.Water temp is holding up at 41 degrees, but gin clear, night fishing would be best!

Edited by mostlymuskies

Headed out inspection to the west river for half the day,snow shovel & rock salt in the truck bed!To much snow, headed across the Peace Bridge to OMNR Launch at shipyards! See how long this border crossing takes!I will share my rock salt with my Canadian friends!(upside down launch)After over an hour explaining why I needed to cross the border to launch & fish,After boat inspection I proceeded to the launch.Not what I was hoping to see,road going into the launch was not even plowed.Turned around and headed back home, with another explanation on the u.s. side of the border where I went and why, only about 5 minutes.Tomarrow morning I will bring the snow blower to the Sheridan Launch and clean the ramp to get out!

post-144733-0-93485900-1418401216_thumb.jpg

Edited by mostlymuskies

Today I got a late start of 10:30 am and washed lures till dark when the winds gusted to 30 mph out of the West and sent us back to the dock, where it was wash board over the dock.John & Cullen got out early and caught the barometer rising,top out and drop again.They also caught a period when the winds pushed in water that brought the temp up to 41.5 degrees.They caught 5 muskies to 43"! The water temp dropped back down to 39.5 degrees by the time I got out and barometric pressure was way on its way falling.I seen a couple Canadian fishermen catch muskies trolling early as well, today was one of those days where everyone else caught fish but you days, been there before, hopefully not again tomorrow!

Edited by mostlymuskies

Well the water clarity went from clear to silty grey with about 1 ft visibility! John & Cullen gave it a try today, water temp dropped down to 37.5 degrees and all bait fish were gone.Skipping tonight and giving it a long day into the night tomorrow for the last day.Then Tuesday I'm headed to Erie, Pa for one try on Presque Isle Bay before shrink wrapping the boat Wendesday!

Edited by mostlymuskies

Water temp is slowly rising at 39 degrees now, but 42 degree water in Lake Erie is inching close to Buffalo.John Pensyl has a 39"er so far, we are just now getting on the water.I will let this last client stay out till midnight if he wants! Last chance here on the Niagara River for 2014, I will give it all.

Land a SUPERFISH !!

We finished up the Niagara River Musky Season with just a 39" Muskie & a 29" walleye! John Pensyl &, Cullen had a 5 muskie day jigging tubes, biggest was 47 1/2" Tank! Picture of Cullen with his tank and my clients walleye!

post-144733-0-30710500-1418681884_thumb.jpg

post-144733-0-57595500-1418682058_thumb.jpg

Edited by mostlymuskies

I would like to thank LOU for giving me the opportunity to post fishing reports here! I also would like to thank everyone who came on the thread and communicated & looked through the season.I will post again next year starting with PA lakes in April, followed by Chautauqua Lake in early June, then back to the Niagara River.May Everyone Have A Happy Holiday Season!

Edited by mostlymuskies

One last try for muskies at Presque Isle Bay out front of Erie, Pa.Bay water temp was 34.2 degrees and almost void of anything that swims.Out past the Coast Guard Base along the bouy line out into Lake Erie the water temp was 37.3 degrees and Gizzard Dad And Big Hooks top to bottom.Only thing that was happening was snagging the Shad, none of the Big Hooks were active, no hits! But it was worth the try anyway.One last trip out with the boat fishing for Trout from Peace Bridge to the International Railroad Bridge in the 40 degree weather on Tuesday. Then I will have to think about stretch wrapping the boat and get ready for Guyana South America Fishing!

post-144733-0-80221300-1419225739_thumb.jpg

post-144733-0-67638400-1419225785_thumb.jpg

post-144733-0-83315200-1419225828_thumb.jpg

post-144733-0-82726100-1419225884_thumb.jpg

Edited by mostlymuskies