Niagara River Musky Reports

Now that I have completed my make up charters at Chautauqua Lake, the rest of the season will be night trips on the Niagara River and daylight November in the Buffalo Harbor.The night action has been fair for those who have been getting out, moss has been a problem on and off.My first charter is this Thursday night, I will report here after.

Edited by mostlymuskies

Last night was a little on the slow side, only 37" & 33" muskies trolling the West river in Canadian waters.The 33"er thrashed out of my hand and caught my arm with a gill plate and cut me, need 6 pieces of mend tape to close the cut.I'm going back out again tonight hopefully better results.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night we trolled the Triangle area till dark, nothing up to that point.Then at the Beaver Island Beach run at 9 pm we connected with a 42" chunky muskie.Around 10:30 pm we caught the 2nd muskie of 37" in the Shipyards area.Last muskie of the night was around 11:20 pm at Black Creek a 31 1/2".Cullen caught 40" & 46" muskies trolling one of his crankbaits in John's boat.We quit at midnight got weeded out, cleaning weeds that is!

Edited by mostlymuskies

All 3 boats out trolling on Sunday night caught smallmouth bass on muskie crankbaits and a couple walleyes were caught.We gave the smallmouth bass a chance to get full and the muskies a chance to get hungry,we took last night off.Back on the water tonight before the rain and front moves in.Water temp is coming down nice,now 69 degrees,that is 5 degrees below normal for this time in August.Floating grass & weeds can be a little troublesome ,but no moss bat all.Muskies are setting up in the 12 to 14 ft depths at night with the cooler water temps.Best action has been the 1st hour of darkness around 9 pm and from midnight to 1 am,when the muskies are on.Trolling Depthraiders Jtd,Wiley's Jtd,Mr. Toothy Lures & Polish Perch in gold or brown colors at 3.0 mph upstream following drop edges or accross stream placing lures behind humps has been the best method.There also have been a few nice fish caught by the Red October Tube drifters working the deeper trenches between Strawberry Island and Frenchmen's Creek.Tossing  crankbaits on the flat's point just below Thompson Hole up by the Peace Bridge has also produced a few nice muskies.One angler has also done well using Buck Perry Spoonplug"s working the channel by Grassy Island down the East River near the North Grand Island Bridge.

Biggest muskies caught in the last 10 days have been two 49" Fatties by NMA Members!

Edited by mostlymuskies

Because the Niagara River can be gin clear where you can see bottom even in depths to 30 ft,night fishing is your best option under those gin clear water conditions.I also like the New Moon,dark side,the best as well.Second best is the period after the sun goes down before the moon rises,that little darkness period.You can just about always fish the Upper Niagara River in any wind condition,just have to alternate where you launch.Under heavy west winds that roll water over the docks at the Town of Tonawanda Boat Launch,go down River Road to Isle View Launch,the high banks allow for calm water.When you have a North wind that rolls up again'st the river current go to Big 6 Marina on Grand Island and cross over up stream to Black Creek where the wind will come off the shore because of the bend in the river.For those 35 + mph SW wind days the Canadian edge of the West River will be flat up against the shore edge,there are many launches along the Niagara Parkway.

The Niagara Musky Asociation has had an Angler Diary Study ongoing since 1994.It is very important to collect data on fish caught and location to keep tabs on how the Niagara River Muskies are doing.Anyone that is not a member of the NMA that would like to help us out by giving the info on catch size,date,approximently where,conditions,casting or trolling,water temp,air temp,lure type.your name and witness to catch,we would add this important info to our data that we give to the NSDEC.You can private email me here or send it to [email protected].

Thanks, Capt Larry

The data from the Niagara River / Buffalo Harbor Angler Diary Study has been used to collect info since 1994.This information has been used in the past for size limit changes, season changes and muskie conservation study programs.We would not be asking for exact spot of your catch, east or west river, north or south gap is sufficient.Catch rates determine what condition our fishery is in and what if any changes that might need to be done to keep what we have or make it better.

The data from the Niagara River / Buffalo Harbor Angler Diary Study has been used to collect info since 1994.This information has been used in the past for size limit changes, season changes and muskie conservation study programs.We would not be asking for exact spot of your catch, east or west river, north or south gap is sufficient.Catch rates determine what condition our fishery is in and what if any changes that might need to be done to keep what we have or make it better.

Larry,

I know. I was only kidding.

• 2 weeks later...