Niagara River Musky Reports

We trolled around Navy Island, Boyers Creek & Black Creek only to look at tight lipped muskies directly on boddom.Light fog was moving in so we moved back up river by Frenchmen's Creek closer to the launch.At 00:35 we finally caught a 39" muskie on a Hi-Fin Trophy Diver Jtd in Capt Larry Gold.John Pensyl caught a fat 45" muskie last night as well.

Jack, Thanks! Still trying to catch that 40 lb King and 20 lb Steelhead.I have come close both on the Columbia & Skajit Rivers in past years.Helps when you have family out in the Pacific Northwest and a brother that has a Ford 3/4 ton diesel truck w/camper and 23 ft a Weld craft with 200 hp jet and 8 hp kicker rigged for ocean, bays and rivers!

Edited by mostlymuskies

• 4 weeks later...

We would like to try our hand at musky fishing this year.  We go and have gone on trips up north for large pike and walleye.  Pike as large as 53", but we cast for them.  Can you offer some advice as to where to start, troll or cast, what types of baits and colors, plus any other advice you may think will help our chances.  Thanks

Tony

I always have a tough time the start of October getting the muskies to bite on a regular basis here on the upper Niagara River.I think it relates to the rapid water temperature drop from day to day.The best option right now seems to be night trolling working structure edges of 16 ft to 21 ft on an upstream direction at 3.0 mph GPS over bottom.I start to go slightly bigger on my crankbaits using Legend Perchbaits 9", Hi-Fin Trophy Divers Jtd 9" in natural colors.As learned from many years of fishing the Upper Niagara River the action seems better from Beaver Island Beach to above Strawberry Island once the water temp approaches 60 degrees.I believe a lot of this has to do with Bait Fish schools moving to the deepest water areas of the West River.It is also best fishing when the water has a green tint over gin clear, if gin clear it is best on the New Moon dark side.But also do not over look the Full Moon and two days before and after, always big muskies caught then, especially when weather front is associated with or water has a tint, gin clear and full moon is like fishing during the daylight.Creek mouths offer water temperature variations that will move in bait fish at night and create food self for feeding muskies.Casting I would still use crankbaits like Wiley Musky King Jr. Jtd.5 1/2" casting shallows near Creek mouths and Legend Perchbaits 9" out over open deep water.The musky bite will pick up once the water temp drops below 60 degrees and when it gets near 50 degrees gizzard Shad will move in to the river and bring some Lake Erie Great Lakes Spotted Fattie Muskies on the feed in with them.In the colder water of 50 degrees and lower I prefer Legend Plows 13" in Golden Sucker color, others prefer Believer's Jtd 10" or Grandma 13"!

I have had no reports for awhile because I have been off the water for awhile getting many things done to free up time for late October through Dec 15th when I will be on the water just about every day.Taking a family vacation to Jamaica for 7 days so I will start back with Niagara River Reports on Oct 22nd.Everyone who gets out I hope the action picks up and a big Toothy Critter pays a visit to your boat.I still have a few days available for late October, November & December.

• 2 weeks later...

There were some nice mid to upper 40" muskies caught while I was away on vacation to Jamaica.Last night was my first night out from 7 pm to 11 pm, all fish were on bottom and not feeding on my offerings.Tommy caught a 42 " er just after I headed in, he said the Bait & fish came off the bottom around 11:15 And He Caught The Fish Soon after.Back out tonight most likely till 2 am.Surface water temp is now 57 degrees, coming down nice!

Edited by mostlymuskies

Rolling in the waves by the North Gap departure buoy at sundown when the kicker motor side rod got hit.45 1/2" chunky muskie took a Legend Perchbait inhaled.Took me awhile to cut 4 hook points so I kept her in the water and made for a safe release, passing on pictures being by myself.Decided to head in at 7 pm because the winds picked up even more.Back out Sunday night after the strong winds for Saturday pass.