Bucket lister

So a little late but I was going through pics from last year and here is my bucket lister landed on shore and before anyone freaks out yes it was safely released and to those that say they fight like a log this one jumped four times and nearly spooled me twice. 45 min fight and I will always remember every minute of it. At a few points in the battle I said to my buddy something on this rod is gonna give. I could see daylight between the reel seat. Oh yeah on a worm.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-144212-14061258569534_thumb.jpg

post-144212-1406125874863_thumb.jpg

Yes some of the deeper finger lakes (Cayuga/Seneca) have lake sturgeon. They are a protected species and I believe it's illegal to target them, but I one is accidentally caught it needs to be released unharmed. Way cool that you caught one, not too many people have that experience! Congrats.

thats awesome we just got back from black lake and my dad  hit one on a stick  bait i dont know if he hit or was snagged the fish jumped once and broke the line was a 4 plus footer he was fishing an ultra light so no real chance.  was cool to see one jump so close to the boat supprised there was even a population there the lake is relatively shallow.

These fish are protected and although it is great to see a picture of a fish that we normally do not see you should not remove it from the water. It takes many

years to get a Sturgeon that big. Hopefully these fish will continue to do well. I do not remember who wrote the article but they were talking about the

reintroduction efforts for a fish that they thought was extinct in Cayuga but when they did a sample netting to see how the fish were doing that they stocked years before they caught a mature fish. I wish I could remember all the facts but it

seems like it took 20 years for a sturgeon to be mature enough to spawn.

It was handled with care and released unharmed. I knew I would get that responce. I wanted to get the hook out and it was washing around in the surf with mussel shells. Also being the fish of a lifetime I selfishly wanted a pic. While it was out for all of fourty seconds I spotted some lamprey scars. I then released and contacted dec to report my catch and findings and was told my handling methods were fine and even congradulated. I never gilled it and it was evenly cradled the whole time. I've got a short vid of the release I can't get to load but I assure you the fish was in better shape than me.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

a good way to get the hook out is flip the fish upside down in the water it is supposed to render them still (tonic immobility) it allows one to remove the hook more easily while the fish is completeley submerged makes for a possible pic while un hooking as well.  More and more of these seem to be caught around the state each year. it would be nice in our lifetimes to see them off the endangered list.  they will likely not become keepable in this state but they might be fishable for a pic someday.