Do Jet Divers ever work on Lake O.?

It's interesting to hear various opinions on what is an effective presentation. I've done better since I switched to wire on my dipsey rods. As most people know some days they mostly come off riggers, some days dipsys, some days lead core, and some days copper. That's what keeps the game interesting. It's also what keeps us all spending money on gear!

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Yep, they are the number one device on erie for guys who run big boards. You can add weight to them, 2 oz 150 back I bet you could get it 60 ft.

Might work, but they are supposed to float at rest

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I bought 2 Rapala reels on a recommendation from a sales rep of one of these big box joints. I picked up 2 shimanos for rigging later. Can you just buy a rod specifically for wire? Don't feel like making modifications...rather just get one ready to go from a known manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes finally I had enough. Scraped them and will use a dipsey in place but tried today with braid and was unfishable there were so many fleas. I cant believe they stopped making flea flicker line. What a joke.

Yes finally I had enough. Scraped them and will use a dipsey in place but tried today with braid and was unfishable there were so many fleas. I cant believe they stopped making flea flicker line. What a joke.

You can still buy flea flicker line. Try Blood Run. I believe they only make it in 30lb test, but are working on a 20lb version. They are a sponsor on this site. You can look them up here on LOU. Good Luck!

I have to agree with the dipsys love them went out last Tuesday and got 2 kings one about 10 and one almost 20 on dipsys had 2 riggers fire one was a brown we lost at the back of the boat and on was no one home had a 3rd fire on the dipsys that was no one home so we went 2 for 5 with 3 bites on dipsys vs 2 on riggers the last time I was out before that was late May and nothing on a dipsy and got 4 fish on riggers and one on a 10 color leadcore riggers were 3 stellies and 1 king and the leadcore was a steelie we went 5 for 7 that day going back out Thursday or Friday. never tried a jet diver though

Edited by cpate1

get wire for your dipsy rigs much better than braid especially with the fleas around

Right now the fleas are very thick in many bodies of water and when they get that bad they stick to just about anything including wire or special flea lines (especially at connection points). They even coat downrigger cables .....so much for the "large diameter line" theory :lol:  Copper seems to be a little better than the other lines in this regard but any connection points (e.g. leader attachment) are still going to get hammered by the fleas when they are real thick. The fleas vary in density  throughout bodies of water and within the water column itself and often are found in "patches" when not in exrtreme density. It also seems that the more VERTICAL your line is (regardless of type) the more fleas seem to attach to it. It seems that the only way to minimize the impact when they are thick is to check your lines VERY frequently to prevent massive buildups and many folks are just not willing to do this....I view it as an opportunity to change lures and presentations. Once the water temps go back down in the Fall the flea problem should greatly reduce.

Right now the fleas are very thick in many bodies of water and when they get that bad they stick to just about anything including wire or special flea lines (especially at connection points). They even coat downrigger cables .....so much for the "large diameter line" theory :lol:  Copper seems to be a little better than the other lines in this regard but any connection points (e.g. leader attachment) are still going to get hammered by the fleas when they are real thick. The fleas vary in density  throughout bodies of water and within the water column itself and often are found in "patches" when not in exrtreme density. It also seems that the more VERTICAL your line is (regardless of type) the more fleas seem to attach to it. It seems that the only way to minimize the impact when they are thick is to check your lines VERY frequently to prevent massive buildups and many folks are just not willing to do this....I view it as an opportunity to change lures and presentations. Once the water temps go back down in the Fall the flea problem should greatly reduce.

"Once the water temps go back down in the Fall the flea problem should greatly reduce"

So the the catching. :rofl:

I have used the smaller ones that max out at 20 feet, they work great for me instead of using weights for a method of deployment. I try to tub them off of my skis (planer boards) so they sre stealthier by being farther from the boat, green is the best in mu eyes

Was out the other day and the braid and 20 lb mono was unfishable. So many fleas couldnt get the lure back in without cleaning off first. Had no choice but to pull them. Wire was fishable some fleas but not too bad, flea flicker 20 lb line did not have a speck on it. The stuff works pure and simple. I guess I'll have to cave and get the blood run in 30 but to me 30 is like anchor rope;.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, I had two braid dipsy set ups and two wire dipsy rods set up, I have ran one against the other when dialed in and running same flasher/ fly, the wire rod would fire five to one over the braid. I respooled and have four wire dipsy combos. Some days when riggers are slow I'll run two riggers and a four rod dipsy set up. It's funny, I went out three weeks ago, hit four kings and 12 lakers all on riggers except one hit the wire dipsy 215 out on a #2 setting.

A week later had 3 kings all on dipsy and only lakers on riggers.

Some days they hit everything, you never know.

As far as the Jet Divers, I just found Tripz divers.... They are a jet diver with a release like a dipsy diver. The best thing about them is they float and do not pull hard, except for the 50. The great part about that is you can set out directly behind boat to clear all lines before it starts diving.

I used them early season on boards and hooked a lot of steelhead,browns and even lakers when the water was cold on top. I'm anxious to try them for Kohos that show up a little later in the season in pretty good numbers out of Henderson harbor.

They only thing I noticed is buy either clear or Black, I have gold and silver that fish seem to be gun shy off, I'm gonna paint them black also