Wind/chop/drift on Oneida

jonboat

Heading to Oneida Saturday, forecast is S winds @ 3-5 mph. is that enough for a chop? What about drifting - is that enough to drag harnesses, or will we need to actively troll? We'll be fishing mid-lake (or that's the plan for now). I just don't know the lake well enough to gage how light winds make it act. Seems every time I'm out there, it's 12-16 mph winds from the E or W. This forecast, if it holds, will bring conditions I've not fished in yet. Any info is appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Due to the orientation of the lake , 3 to 5 out of the south is pretty calm, in Oneida terms. I don't pull harnesses much, lots of people shoot for .9 to 1.1mph, maybe if its too slow try running your electric to make up the difference.

I'll be out there myself for the first time since May on Saturday morning also.

Oneida has been the best that I've seen in years. My most productive method is jointed perch plugs about 2.2 mph. You cant get hurt with south or east winds it's the N by NW that kicks in.

This has been a really good year for me too so far. I usually only fish Oneida 3 or 4 times a year because it's an hour each way just to get there. This will be trip number 4 for me this year and I've limited 2 out of 3 trips so far. If the forecast holds, it'll be caller than I've been out on yet. Seems that no matter the forecast, I always end up in 10-16 mph winds out of the E or W. It's a really bumpy ride in a W-bottomed boat (wet ride too). Hoping they're biting tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My opinion the east and west winds are my favorite to fish, lets me drift over my favorite spots quite nicely,  I would also rather fish the 10 to 16 east west walleye chop versus the forecast for tomorrow .  However fish can and will be caught by many.  I will be out most all of the day, and I concur 2+ mph troll speed has been good, real good.  Walleye are spread all over so dont think you need to stick with deep water either.  Been doing very well in the 12 to 17 fow range and 30 plus.  Good rule of thumb is if your catching sheephead speed up for the walleye.