Midsummer panfish question.....

panfisher

I know kings and 'eyes and other bigger stuff is being chased right now, but has anybody spent any quality time targeting with success.....or just catching incidentally....... slab, jumbo panfish (sunnies,crappies, perch, and yes, even white bass or rockies or bullheads...whatever..) these midsummer weeks, in big water or small? C'mon..... I know there are some of you out there, even if you hate to admit it. Let's hear it or see it!  :)

Edited by panfisher

Indian River Lakes have good bluegill and crappie fishing off the edges of weed banks this time of year. I like fishing them for a change of pace from chasing walleyes and salmon on the St Lawrence and Lake Ontario. Also some good bass fishing on those little lakes. I fish out of my Gheenoe with a six hp. as there is a 10 hp limit on launching from most of the small lake state launches. It's fairly low tech fishing using jigs, and ultra lite gear and you can often catch a bucket of great eating fish.

post-144887-0-05152200-1406483797_thumb.jpg

We are going up tomorrow for our second trip this year to black lake. Our June trip was previously posted.

I'm expecting that the crappie bite will not be as good? Hoping the gills might compensate to some degree? Anticipating will be sorting through a lot of perch to find some keepers? Will be surprised if we don't get some incidental bass, pike and cats.

We are going fishing, so you hope for the best and see what happens.Whatever happens hoping for a relaxing week before the Salmon action hopefully escalates in the weeks to come on LO. 

If we get enough for a meal or two at camp and have enough to bring a bag or to two to at deer camp we will be happy campers.

I kind of like the solitude of going out before day break by myself  and fishing for the pan fish. Is it better than going  to 400 FOW in LO like last week and catching Salmon and Steelhead? Both have pluses  and I enjoy both.

Poached a bag of salmon this week to feed to the cats. One cat reluctantly ate it, the other walked away from the dish.

When I bring the pan fish to deer camp the guys go wild and while I'm cooking I make sure I have my bites for sure.

I guess everyone has their own expectations of what they want to get out of a fishing trip. For me its as simple as trying to do my best for what ever species I'm after, and hopefully catch some fish.

If I'm by myself at Black Lake and enjoy the sunrise and the solitude, its all good whether the fish are biting or not. If I have a charter or are taking out some friends to LO or the FL and the T&S are not cooperating it can be enjoyable but..............

Hopefully will have a good report next week.

Bridget.......NNiiiiiiccee!! Looking forward to your report, especially about some nice panfish.........."Poached a bag of salmon this week to feed to the cats. One cat reluctantly ate it, the other walked away from the dish......."    Hahhaahaaa!   :lol:  You know, nice sea run salmon, kings and steelies and others, from wild Pacific Ocean catches, do seem to taste way better than the ones from the Great Lakes. Perhaps its the salt water or their food sources. I have never had off tasting or "not so great " panfish from any freshwater. Even rock bass, not high on the list of favs to eat for most, taste pretty darn good.......Hope to hear you have run into some schools of jumbos of some sort up at Black Lake.... :yes:

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any mid to late summer luck on the finger lakes? Would love to get my twin 3 yr olds into some panfishing.  They like trolling for a little while, but it doesn't take too long before the "Daddy why aren't the fish biting?"