Does anyone have the home address of a noaa weather person?!? I'd personally like to pay them a visit and let them know what I think of their reporting skills. Seriously!!! Report: 1 to 2 foot waves= reality: 4 to 6 footers possibly a small craft advisory. (Out of sturgeon point anyhow this am) Don't they know we don't all live on the water and count on their advice??? Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Noaa measures waves with a buoy at "0" feet when the lake is completely calm. When the wind blows,-the buoy goes up and down ,- but it only measures the -"up".  We see waves with the up and down (trough). The buoy doesn't measure the down,- so we have to add that to their number. A 4 ft buoy wave is seen by us as about 7 feet. 

Noaa measures waves with a buoy at "0" feet when the lake is completely calm. When the wind blows,-the buoy goes up and down ,- but it only measures the -"up". We see waves with the up and down (trough). The buoy doesn't measure the down,- so we have to add that to their number. A 4 ft buoy wave is seen by us as about 7 feet.

Understanding the data your given has a lot to do it. Fired up is spot on, take whatever # is reported and double it......the buoys don't lie. Anything above 2.5' is "small craft stay home"

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

What about the marine weather reports. For example, Lake Erie, Buffalo to New York State line beyond five miles, waves 2 feet or less? Are the waves four feet or less? For small boats, what is the maximum wave height for safe and enjoyable fishing out on Lake Erie or Ontario?

Thanks,

Silver Bear

I feel your pain! Have friends here from out of town and have been getting our butts kicked by waves all weekend. On top of that the fishing sucks. :(

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sorry, but I have to call out incorrect information on this page.  Wave height is measured from the top of the crest to the bottom of the trough of the adjoining wave.  Measuring from a base line, flat calm for instance, to the top of a wave, is not wave height, it is amplitude. 

The NOAA buoy information should not be doubled to understand the actual wave height being measured since the readings of the buoys are measuring wave height as described above.  Buoys travel up and down with the wave action and measure total vertical movement, not just amplitude.

My experience is that many captains think they are in far bigger seas than they actually are and  misinterpret wave period and wave steepness for bigger waves.  Steep waves with a short period will seem far bigger than deep swells with a long period.   Ocean swells of 6 feet with a long period pose little problems for many boats while 6 foot breaking waves with a short period will often been very dangerous for the same vessel.

I'm not at all sure how the NOAA bouys measure wave height (amplitude) or distance between wave crests (frequency) . But , as an angler who has fished Lake O since the 70's , I have learned (the hard way ) to adjust the NOAA wave height predictions . If the forcast calls for  1 to 3  , I assume  2 to 4 . This had worked for years and the previous post about wave measurement makes perfect sense .  If the wave crest is measured from surface to vcrest , that explains why wave height is generally double predictions .  It works for me . I will continue to adjust accordingly . Somedays I feel like dealing with 2 to 4  ,some days not so much .  lol .

Sorry, but I have to call out incorrect information on this page.  Wave height is measured from the top of the crest to the bottom of the trough of the adjoining wave.  Measuring from a base line, flat calm for instance, to the top of a wave, is not wave height, it is amplitude. 

The NOAA buoy information should not be doubled to understand the actual wave height being measured since the readings of the buoys are measuring wave height as described above.  Buoys travel up and down with the wave action and measure total vertical movement, not just amplitude.

My experience is that many captains think they are in far bigger seas than they actually are and  misinterpret wave period and wave steepness for bigger waves.  Steep waves with a short period will seem far bigger than deep swells with a long period.   Ocean swells of 6 feet with a long period pose little problems for many boats while 6 foot breaking waves with a short period will often been very dangerous for the same vessel.

Agreed ! :yes:

Sorry, but I have to call out incorrect information on this page. Wave height is measured from the top of the crest to the bottom of the trough of the adjoining wave. Measuring from a base line, flat calm for instance, to the top of a wave, is not wave height, it is amplitude.

The NOAA buoy information should not be doubled to understand the actual wave height being measured since the readings of the buoys are measuring wave height as described above. Buoys travel up and down with the wave action and measure total vertical movement, not just amplitude.

My experience is that many captains think they are in far bigger seas than they actually are and misinterpret wave period and wave steepness for bigger waves. Steep waves with a short period will seem far bigger than deep swells with a long period. Ocean swells of 6 feet with a long period pose little problems for many boats while 6 foot breaking waves with a short period will often been very dangerous for the same vessel.

Incorrect or not, the waves that the bouy says are not the waves that I say...

Smallboat is absolutely correct. The NOAA buoys measure trough to crest and somehow use a calculation to average the waves over a period of time. The post above aboat doubling from a "0" starting point is not correct.

- Chris

When the bouy says 3' You guys go ahead and fish in those three footers then......

zactly!

This has nothing to do with someone questioning safety and when or when not to go out and fish in the waves.

The poster above simply pointed out incorrect information on calculating wave height. Why all the "read between the lines" sarcasm I so often see in certain posts?

Thanks,

Chris