anyone know this 280 baha in mexico

I'm going tomorrow to possibly buy a bigger boat as my 20' just doesn't cut it on rough days. Does anyone know anything about this boat

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/4495453917.html

he said its been for sale for a few years which makes me wonder why, I do know It needs new manifolds and he claims everything else is in decent shape. I own a thermal imaging gun so I can do a check for moisture. The boat seem to be priced pretty cheap but I do not want to buy a pile of junk, can anyone chime in as what else to look for or any experience with this boat or similar boats. Thanks guys!

I'm going tomorrow to possibly buy a bigger boat as my 20' just doesn't cut it on rough days. Does anyone know anything about this boat

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/4495453917.html

he said its been for sale for a few years which makes me wonder why, I do know It needs new manifolds and he claims everything else is in decent shape. I own a thermal imaging gun so I can do a check for moisture. The boat seem to be priced pretty cheap but I do not want to buy a pile of junk, can anyone chime in as what else to look for or any experience with this boat or similar boats. Thanks guys!

If you can get your mitts on a infer red gun that shoots temp, by all means take it along, and run motor for 3/4 to 1 hour then start shooting temp 120 to145 degree's everywhere. If it has a closed water system check to see what thermostat is in it, some one might chime in on other thermostat temps but after $2800.00 in new manifolds, risers, exhaust boots heads redone due to a melt down on and on, the cooling system is very important and (I) feel many people take for granted. Anyway if you can sea test this beast that's the way to fly!! PULL engine cover and shoot the exhaust manifold first should be 10 degree's one way or the other of the thermostat then shoot the front of each head then the middle of each head then the rear of the heads they should be with in 5 degree's of each other on both side, higher temps out side of the thermostat mean trouble could be exhst. manif. or blocked water passage ways in the block to many variables, very costly, motor might need to be pulled to fix fight. Shoot the rubber boot between the riser and the exhaust pipe this is where your hottest readings will be as this is where your exhaust and water get dumped into the pipe to exit the motor your temp should not exceed the thermo by 10 degrees, or somewhere there is a gremlin just waiting to haunt you good luck. Looks like a nice boat but beware!!!

I get the impression it is a single screw.  Depending on where you will dock it, beware that a single screw inboard is very difficult to control at low speed.  They do not turn very well.  Very difficult in windy situations.  I finally got tired of the trouble and put a kicker on center and only dock with that.

I should also add that he said its got 1300hours, ideally I would plan on putting a 25hp kicker on down the road, which im sure will ease the full bill a bit. right now I can troll all day for $20-$25 with my 8hp kicker, I figure this boat will cost 4x that

Id definitely look into the transom and stringers for water intrusion.  If those need replaced, figure on spending 3-4000 just getting those redone.  Even at his asking price, if you were to get them redone, you would still be way ahead of the game.  That boat has crazy potential to be an awesome fishing machine.

I personally would have to really really love a boat to buy a single screw inboard so that could be part of it.  As mentioned,  Installing a kicker does help with the docking problem though so you'd probably want to figure a kicker into the cost or the stress level at the dock will suck the fun right out of your day :)

Did you ask Mike or Beth about it ?  That would be the first thing I'd do. Baha owners love their Baha's, so no doubt it can be transformed into a great boat if you put in some time and money. Maybe a lot of money which would answer the asking price.

Not sure how adding a kicker will help the docking issue. Only thing to help docking a single inboard is a bow thruster. The kicker would be put directly over the main, center line up so no added turning thrust for docking. Every brand of boat has it's lovers and it's haters. If you like the layout, and can live with the single, and it passes a survey with flying colors, then go for it. But you and only you can make that decision. Good Luck keep us posted!!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not sure how adding a kicker will help the docking issue. Only thing to help docking a single inboard is a bow thruster. The kicker would be put directly over the main, center line up so no added turning thrust for docking. Every brand of boat has it's lovers and it's haters. If you like the layout, and can live with the single, and it passes a survey with flying colors, then go for it. But you and only you can make that decision. Good Luck keep us posted!!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Been on two single inboards (one being Jon's Penn Yan) that had kickers we used for docking.  I tried docking Jon's Penn Yan without the kicker and embarrassed myself :lol:  What a disaster !  Used kicker next few times and had no problem.  No question it helps!  We didn't use the main at all - just pulled strait in with kicker.  Don't know about backing in - never tried that ??

My good buddy has a 27 Baha with single inboard and no kicker with bow thrusters.  It worked okay depending on wind strength and direction, but not nearly as good as the kicker.  Just my very limited observation and opinion.  

Well to no surprise the boat was junk, just needed to much work and didn't look like it was taken care of well, I guess that's the reason it was 6k. Does anyone else know of an baha's for sale? 26-30' ? I don't mind a project for the right price, found an 04 286sf which was semi sunk and has no motor for 4k .. Would be perfect for twin outboards but I'm sure I'd have to rewire the entire boat

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Well to no surprise the boat was junk, just needed to much work and didn't look like it was taken care of well, I guess that's the reason it was 6k. Does anyone else know of an baha's for sale? 26-30' ? I don't mind a project for the right price, found an 04 286sf which was semi sunk and has no motor for 4k .. Would be perfect for twin outboards but I'm sure I'd have to rewire the entire boat

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Check out the 31 ft Baha for sale by Janz here in the for sale section.

it looks like a very nice boat but after some talking with Janz i think its more boat then i'm looking for,ideally i want a baha 28' that i can trailer(or similiar size boat)