Chaumont Bay

I guess it depends on how young the kids are but my kids are 8 and  9 and I would take them up the channel and bobber fish with worms or gulp bait for pan fish.  If you want to get SM bass, they are definitely in the bay but it always takes me a little while to pattern them.  This is not good for most of today's youth.  My son get's bored when the fish do not bite right away.  If your kids are willing to cast and retrieve constantly, I have done well with (blue fox) silver/black spinners and have caught everything from pumpkinseeds to northerns on the same rod.  To catch chains, use spinner baits around the bridge out in the bay and even up the channel.  Largemouth are typically around the bridge and the tressel but that is just part of it.  You can catch them everywhere.

I guess it depends if you are after big or numbers.  Pan fishing can be fun.  That is what I look for when I take my kids.  Good luck, I hope the wind helps you, and have fun.

Think of Chaumont and think of monster smallies :P

Did real well a week or so ago in Guffin Bay, watermellon Senkos in 3-10 feet of water in the weeds along shorelines did the trick for some great big smallmouth. Or for the kids, try perch around Cherry Island, there were numbers there, but not a lot of size.