Canal 7/29

Caught one eye, a drum, 4 crappie, bunch o Rockies, a few smallies, and a rare largemouth in the areas I target in fairport. The eye hit it on the drop only a few feet below the surface. The canal was loaded with bait fish all at the surface, I think they were either walleye or bass fry, about 1.5-2" long. Weirdly, not much was harassing the schools.I wish I had a net to take a closer look at them. If anyone knows what fry they could be I would love to know.

Other wise, my last few weeks hitting the canal have been slow. I find that the few days after rain has the best water clarity and they turn on. The last few weeks have been chocolate milk and a very dead bite. I wasn't marking many under the bridges either, so they are going some where when the water gets cloudy, just not sure yet where.

I excitedly got to try my new light walleye jigging rod. After hours of research, and desire to find a light rod that wasn't floppy that would have a fast enough tip to feel a jig that is lighter than 1/4oz, I found my new favorite at gander. A stcroix premier 6ft med light, fast tip that is amazing. I tipped an 1/8 oz jig with a micro fluke, and man does that catch everything in the canal. And you can feel the hits really nicely without needing a finger on the line. You don't feel the rock structure as you bounce the jig down as much as a heavy 1/4oz, but the fall of the jig is much slower and most likely accounts for the lack of feel of the banging down the rocks. Vertically, this rod does shine as well, with the lighter jig the vertical fall is slower in 10ft, and if you rest the jig on the bottom and lightly twitch the line with your trigger finger it makes the bait wriggle. Then pause for and excruciating 5-10 seconds is when I had most my hits. I have found that the key to vertical jigging is more about the pause and keeping the pause within a millimeter of the bottom. That is the hard part, the do nothing piece. Oh yes, and the 10lb powerpro, and 6lb Izorline leader was a nice light combo for the 1/8th oz presentation.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice catch congrats used to catch some walleye trollin past the oxbo years ago and pike pickeral and eyes down by white brook took the kids down to wide waters caught mixed bag

I found some micro flukes today at gander. I had one left and that's what I caught that last eye on with 1/8thoz jig. I also found some micro power bait green paddle tails at gander barely an inch n a half long. I can't wait to use them.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice going Tg8! You know, I had a nice 6 ft lite action graphite St. Croix I lost at the canal a few years back. I had made a cast and the tip half came loose at the ferrule and flew right up in the air and wrapped over a power line. I thought I could reel it back up to me but the line (usual 6lb. Berkley) snapped, and I watched it plunge down into the canal. This was by the Wayneport rd. bridge. We tried for a few to cast and drag lures from the boat where we thought it was to no avail... :(  ...Oh well. So ended that favorite pole. On to it's replacement!  :)