Striped Bass

There seems to be a lot of interest in this, myself included. I've never fished for them but have talked to folks who have & they say it's a blast. I hope Ray or someone else who's fished for them will jump in here and give us some basic ideas.

Thanks for any help guys. I'd really like to try for them this year.

• 1 month later...

I lived on Long Island for the year of 2005 and I can tell you right now that striper fishing is super addictive so be careful! It is very different from anything in the freshwater. I could go on and on about techniques, but I'm on lunch break so I will sum it up. I was a surfcaster without a boat, but that didnt keep me from getting my limits. The stripers and blue fish have a unique relationship. The bluefish demolish the bait schools and the slob stripers clean up the chunks that fall to the bottom. You find the bluefish by following the terns that are hitting the bait from the top. I would cast huge topwater for the bluefish, where out my arm then cast a chunk of fish, clam bellies, or a eel to the bottom and wait for the stripers that follow the blues. Thats one example. My most productive times came during Sept, Oct, Nov. I would cast 1.5-2 oz white/yellow bucktail jigs tipped with a large red pork tail (strike king, uncle josh) at moriches inlet and montauk. Dragging the jig across the bottom with short pops off the bottom. Lots of people use storm shads, but I had better luck with bucktail jigs. I caught the biggest and most stripers at Moriches Inlet out on the jetties with my special eel rig on the outgoing tide. The tides have everything to do with your success rate. The outgoing at Moriches and Shinnecock are more favorable then the incoming. My best night was on Halloween at 1am on a outgoing at Moriches with a full moon. So much to say not enough time. The charters drift eels up and down the inlets and are successful. Check noreast.com (very helpful)

musky never saw the post till today , i only fish the hudson around newburgh area great time , last two years slowed a little dont know if the run was narrower and i missed the big one or the numbers are down,talked with old timer (not as old as you)last year and things slowed for him also,maybe some of those Mass. guys can get reports up there to see if numbers in Mass. rivers were down the temps for 2nd wk of may were down for last 2 years so i hope thats it , but 6-7 years ago it was super cold with good run , with this global warming were having now and the light snow up north it might be another slow year if it was due to cold,,, slow is 20 a day good 40 ,,,, ,50 plus(4people in boat)are 4 year ago numbers,,,,,if your a diehard i might have room for two more this year if your idea of fishing till noon is ok bring your own boat or good pair fins and snorkle,fishing the hudson is a adventure in itsself 2nd weekend in may if all goes well,stay at koa in cabins this is a experience you dont want to miss