Thinking about making the trip to Olcott from Pittsburgh this weekend.  Has the Chinook fishing picked up at all?  Last year this time I had to hit 650ft of water to find a school.  Ended up limiting out, but was WAY out there.  If its slow, Ill push the trip back till later in August.  I only get one chance a year to fish kings, and I want to time it when its on fire

I don't have numbers for it.  It was my first time out fishing from there.  If I remember correctly I went straight out of the harbor about 5-6 miles, probably even farther.   I just kept heading out until I hit depth over 600ft.  I turned east and went probably 2 miles.  Almost instantly started marking fish 100ft down, and had chinook and steelhead action that was phenomenal. I vaguely remember seeing a bunch of smoke stacks off my starboard side while trolling east.

Edited by jigstick

I would delay that trip- no reports of consistent salmon fishing off olcott. 650'? 5-6 miles? Steelhead are everywhere off shore but unless people are keeping extremely quiet, no word has reached these ears of at very least good salmon fishing. I live on the lake and I can't believe how few boats go out each day here- 4 trailers in Wilson last Saturday- that should tell you what's up- I'm no pro but the fishing this year s&$cks! Water temps are all over the place here on the west end.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

fishing su**S as mentioned was one of those trailers last weekend fished 350-450 out to 30 line. hit some steelhead and a couple small kings but no majors. I have been out 4 days total skunked on 2 of them. I am friends with 2 guys that are out 3 times a week and same results. I keep saying its got to turn on but hasn't happened yet  I would delay the trip especially how the weather keeps changing. However I have one rule you can't catch them on the couch and this weekend winds are going to cooperate. Rain / Thunder storms ?? . Good Luck see you on the water in 650 :lol:

Yeah I just talked to the buddy I fish with up there.  He lives in Amherst.  He's kind of hearing the same thing.  Go east past the 3rd stack towards the power plant, and hit 550 FOW.  But no "hot" action.  I think Im going to wait off on the salmon trip and just hit Barcelona on Erie.  Last weekend we hammered steelies, lakers, and walleye.  There is a massive school of walleye approximately 3miles long out in front of Dunkirk, and the walleye bite has been insane.  Ill hit that up until Olcott turns on.

Yes that is the school i am talking about. It moves east and west a bit but once u find it u will have a nice 3 mile troll of constant walleye action. Last i heard it got pushed deep with all the south wind. Thats where i found it last weekend

• 2 weeks later...

Weather permitting, I will be fishing out of Olcott this saturday.  I would like to hook up with someone who knows a little more about the area though.  I have some numbers on my chart plotter that have done me well, but I would like to maybe team up with someone this saturday.  if I get on the Kings good, I can give you numbers, and vice versa.  Anybody interested?

Yeah my numbers are way out too.  500ft plus, heading east past the stacks.  If the weather is rough, and I can get on some inside, id really appreciate it.  I only get 1 trip a year to the Big O.  Ill post my DSC number tomorrow morning for you guys.  And touch base again throughout the week.  Gotta keep an eye on the NOAA forecast.

I normally get 2-3 trips in but had a baby so I'm feeling lucky I get one 3 days trip I hope to make the best of it that's for sure. I usually fish inside water in the evening we come in take a break mid day to get out of the sun and eat lunch. Weather forecast looks really good, might be a tad bumpy saturday but fishable. When we fish offshore we usually work 27-30 line like everyone else, usually find something prior to the 30 though. 

Fished out of Olcott last Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  Steelheads only on Monday from 200' out to 500'.  Tuesday hooked 3 kings in 290' to 325', landed two (one 36").  Wednesday Steelheads only.  Charters were hanging in the 400' to 500' but catching steelhead.  Only saw a couple kings at the fish cleaning station.

Has anyone found cold water out of Olcott?  I have a nice shiny new Fishhawk 4XD to try out this weekend.  Maybe all of this mid week wind will turn up some cold water?  I really want to get out, but right now the NOAA forecast isnt great for the weekend.

Last I remember 500 was 10 miles out.

That was a rhetorical question, 650 fow doesn't exist off of Olcott. I don't think you find water that deep in Lake Ontario until you are way offshore off of Sodus.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app