ibay 7/31 Evening of catching fleas

A big stinky skunk.  Took out Pikefreak tonight.  100fow out to 240 and back to 130.  Caught buckets of fleas on every line, but no fish.  Not even a release.  First time running a wire dipsy and it had seemingly as many fleas on it as the braid dipsy lines.  Temps all over the place.  Bait scattered.  Fleas so bad I'm reconsidering what to fish for on the weekend. 

What line are you running on your riggers? What braid are you running on your dipsy's?

I run 30 LB mono with a 20lb fluorocarbon leader on the riggers and 80lb braid on my slide divers and the flea problem is annoying but manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I tried some cortland 20lb fliea flicker ,130' spliced into the main line and 30' of fluorocarbon leader  and so far have had no fleas on my flicker lines. Did the same at Keuka lake where the fleas have been bad for a month now and still no problem. My wire dipsies are catching them also. I read about and tried at keuka before the flea flicker was installed, a way to help remove fleas from a line when fighting a fish in. Takes 2 people though. Get a 3 foot peice of smooth 1/8 stainless steel rod( so it won't eventually rust) and have someone slide it up and down on the line as the fleas come up towards the tip. It only takes a few swipes with moderate pressure and they pretty much fall off. Doesn't work as well when pulling rigger lines (unless flashers are involved) , not enough tension on the line.

A big stinky skunk. Took out Pikefreak tonight. 100fow out to 240 and back to 130. Caught buckets of fleas on every line, but no fish. Not even a release. First time running a wire dipsy and it had seemingly as many fleas on it as the braid dipsy lines. Temps all over the place. Bait scattered. Fleas so bad I'm reconsidering what to fish for on the weekend.

Its part of the GAME. Just check lines more often. Gives you a reason to change lures/FF more frequently

was out Tuesday and we picked up 2 kings lost a small brown at the back of the boat and 2 fire with no one home but yes had to deal with fleas they were horrible and the temps were all over the place for us also just kept changing depths and f/f till we found them for each fire

I went out of Bear Creek last night and had action at the 222fow mark. I just circled there for a few hrs and caught a couple of nice steelies and one 10-12lb king. All hits came on riggers at 70&65 down. My wire line was also coated with fleas as well as my rigger cables? My down rigger poles have 30lb flea flicker and we're basically clear of fleas. My favorite moonshine lure " bis hie bruiser" caught all the fish.

What line are you running on your riggers? What braid are you running on your dipsy's?

I run 30 LB mono with a 20lb fluorocarbon leader on the riggers and 80lb braid on my slide divers and the flea problem is annoying but manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Had 20lb mono on the rigger lines with 20lb seaguar fluoro leaders. I need to change this immediately. Does anyone know where I could pick up Flea Flicker line around Rochester?

I use 30lb power pro on the braid dipsy's.

Lines were pulled and cleaned frequently, but it was remarkable how fast they built back up.

To clarify, I stated I may reconsider what Im fishing for this weekend because it will be one of the rare times I get my wife and daughter to go along. I want it to be fun, not frustrating. They wont help me clean lines! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run 20# flea flicker on the rigger reels with an  8ft, 20# fluorocarbon leader. We get some fleas on swivels that will bind up the swivel if left long enough, but otherwise no problems with fleas.

it was great just getting out and being on the water! The fleas and getting skunked sucked but that's part of fishing! Thanks for taking me out! Always nice meeting other L.O.U members!