Outboard motor choice for FL trolling

A friend of mine plans to buy a Tracker Targa 185 for trolling and still fishing in the Finger Lakes, mostly trolling. Estimated package weight per manufacturer's site is 3,000 lbs. A Merc 115 Optimax and 115 EXLPT EFI Four Sroke are the same price. They have trolled before with another boat employing bags and buckets to get the speed down. Will they be able to troll down with either of these? Is one a better choice for fuel economy (a 7 mile run to the deep waters where they troll and then some hours trolling). Which one would you choose?

I have this over on the Boat forum, but thought I might get more reads over here.

Thanks for any advice.

MarkG

I have 19`targa w/t 2006 with 115 optimax .I can get down to 1.5 mph all the time ! As for gas use,never had a motor that uses so little!!! Some time I think it uses more injector oil than gas.Love that engine,run good starts easy!!

yuki', info for your buddy...........I have the Merc 115 EFI 4 stroke on my 19' glass boat. Bought both new in `02. Went with the 4 stroke cause most all my fishing is trolling for trout and eyes and I wasn't sold on the 2 strokes for long term trolling (I'm from the old school :? ) . This engine trolls down to about 1.5 mph. Engine works great and haven't had any problems. Only normal oil changes every 100 hrs and plug changes (@$11 ea.) once a year. Normal gas consumption was about 6 to 8 gal a trip depending on how far I powered out to fish.

I finally went with a 4 stroke kicker 2 years ago because I was racking up a lot of hours on the main engine and also didn't have a backup engine just in case. I now use about 4 - to 5 gals for the same fishing trips. BTW, boat gas is the cheapest part of my fishing ;) .

If I had to do it over I would probably go with the OptiMax main engine and 9.9 4 stroke kicker from the get go. I don't think you'll go wrong with either the 115 Opti or 115 4 stroke main engine. Both are good and dependable proven engines. Cost to operate is about the same, 2 stroke oil for the Opti and 5 quarts of oil & oil filter every 100 hrs for the 4 stroke.The Opti is a little lighter and a few bucks cheaper. Just consider the kicker engine if you are going to be trolling alot.