St Lawrence River Walleyes advice

Kevin J Legg

Devin,

Sorry but I thought topic was still River walleyes. I think I got caught up in between yours and Justin's jabs! I actually agree with you as I use mono on the lake and Quinte but can't say I've tried the braid in that application. I know some of the Quimte guides that use it.

Good fishing and keep experimenting. It keeps things interesting and occasionally pays off..

What I meant was the side-topic... Or 'jabs' as you call them. Don't try the braid in the open lake... You'll loose fish like crazy. Sorry we hijacked your thread... But by the looks of it you enjoyed it too :)

You know im busting...i only mention braid because you hate it. I love it for what i do...not ontario eyes...that being said i bet i can catch eyes on mono here and i bet you can catch em on braid there. Mono probably would struggle with 15-20 lb tigers and 3-5 mph speeds, and weed mats, but it would work. I know you can use any trolling technique if you know what you are doing. Kevin have tried copper in the river? Ive read quite a bit lately on using copper to fish structure in current for eyes. Supposedly guys can work up and down in the current with slight speed changes to work current breaks.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Justin.

The other morning I forgot to change my rods and didn't bring my bottom bouncer rigs. I happened to have a lake rod with copper set up for salmon on board and set it up with a bottom bouncer. The rod was a little to long but I did catch a walleye on it. I may try running either or wire or copper with a different rod with bottom bouncer some morning as it might help with the fleas. Some guys use lead core but I like that 45 degree angle to bottom bouncer as I seem to have better depth control. I believe they use it on the Detroit River.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Not sure if you've seen or heard of it yet but this walleye copper seems like it could have a place in your arsenal Kevin. And besides who doesn't need 4 or 5 more set ups kicking around lol

http://bloodruntackle.gostorego.com/walleye-fishing-line-mono-stickbait-crawler-harness-trolling-drifting-leader/walleye-copper-wire-100yd-spool.html

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Im gonna try the copper eventually for sure. My son is fishing the BASS open on st clair in sept. and im thinking of going with him and trying the detroit, st clair river and lake for eyes. As far as braid goes its easily usable off boards open lake trolling. Ive literally caught 2 hundred on otisco in 2 plus years. If it makes you lose fish i must be an expert with it.

I was born in Michigan and grew up in Algonac which is right on the St. Clair river. Handlining wire with multiple plugs is the go to method for eyes there if I remember correctly. Im sure it has to do with the strong current, much like the St. Lawrence. It's all well and good hand over handing 2-10lb eyes until a musky latches onto one of the plugs lol

Ive handlined a few decent fish in my time, but a big musky would be a new experience. Its tough when you are after walleye and have to tackle up for musky. Tiger we trolled yesterday toasted a shad rap and bombers are a 1 tiger per lure deal. Tigers crack them on the strike everytime. Anybody fish eyes and end up with big pike or musky regularly destroying tackle. Im gonna go saltwater grade on somethings like bombers and f18s just dont know if they will catch eyes. Kevin you must run into the same problem?

JT,

I'd still need to let out at least 150 feet to get the depths I often fish and with the short trolls I think it might be a pain.  Also constantly changing bottom contour could be a problem. I may try running it using heavy bottom bouncers as it would probably help with the fleas and perhaps achieve the desired depths easier  even than braid.

Supposedly that's the beauty of the copper, it's very speed sensitive. A slight increase/decrease in speed can cause it to lift and fall. Just going by what the article on the website says. Would I be willing to risk some of my baits and rigs to find out if its true....I don't know. Thankfully the structure I fish this time of year allows me to run mono so for now I'll stick with what works, as im sure you will as well. As the saying goes if it ain't broke.... I would be curious to see it's effectiveness over lead core though and its always nice to have less line out to achieve similar depths.

Edited by EYE SPY

I agree with the pia of long lines and new techniques..the stuff ive been reading basically says speed up for shallow spots and slow to get down in tight areas like you describe kevin. Of course you prob lose at least a hundred in tackle figuring it out. I tried to do the same thing with clip weights to work steep points up and over them, but clip weights dont rise fast enough and i lost every lure ive tried it on...the weights go down the slope fine but cant get em back up. STEEP dive angles with super heavy bottom bouncers is my next step like kevin uses. I dont have to fish that structure to catch, but i want to be able to...plus it would be doable solo. With a boat full of people id rather fish suspended fish with a dozen lines.

I think the way I'm fishing is much like hand lining wire in Detroit only with heavy braid and a stiff rod. I've been thinking of running a Bomber on  the bottom and a spoon a couple feet up to see how that might work. Incidentally, I caught one walleye this morning on a mono lngling and one on braid  bottom bouncer.

I think I speak for all of us on the walleye forum. Thank you for your hard work and dedication....

That said,I've learned a few things from JT and I'm switching all my lines to braid and 15lb seagar it casts as well as it trolls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by MeatHunter737

Just like to say....I don't chase after the 'eyes like you guys do; I'm not a guide or charter captain. But I have definitely learned a lot from all on this thread. When I do target them, I've got now some great insight and guidance on how and why to approach new and different waters. Good stuff..... :nod:  

I set up a rod with copper yesterday and will be seeing how it handles the heavy bottom bouncers in the current tomorrow. It will certainly eliminate  any zebra cut offs. My fishing buddy lost two rigs yesterday using 30 lb. braid but I've fished all year with 65 lb. without losing a rig.

Edited by Kevin J Legg