Out of I-Bay friday afternoon 8-01

We left I-Bay around 4 o'clock after having done some trial runs in the bay to test the rebuilt engine (rebuilt by yours truly) and moved towards our destination  which was 140 feet in front of Cranberry Pond. The engine did very well. We set up our gear and trolled along. The termocline was at about 50 feet down with browns 40 feet and steelies  mixed in. We had some dreamweaver ss frogs fifty down in 65 degree water and scorpion kfc special lures on sliders about 5 feet above. Those were good for 2 browns and one steelie. the dipsies were 264 and 324 out. They had green and white spindoctors with white and mountain dew like hammerflies. They never moved. One 400 foot copper with green flasher with a magnum glow frog got a hit and produced a 15 pound salmon which we promptly send back to grow some more. Most fish and bait was between 20 foot (steelies) and 80 foot. The big hooks and there were quite a few, were between 90 and 60 down

At this point we saw a nasty thunder storm move east and over the lake behind and away from us. So we said the cloud moves east and we are moving west so let's keep on fishing until,suddenly, the storm decided to move west after all and before we knew it we saw a lot of big whiteheads coming our way. We probably set a new record in getting gear out of the water and riding the wave troughs we moved to Braddocks Bay with the waves cresting at 5 or 6 feet,but by the time we got to the bay it had eased up a bit  and we started our ride back to I-bay. On our way back I explained to my son that very heavy rain flattens the waves and you can actually make good speed. Within 5 minutes we were making very good speed thanks to the massive rain and noisy hail on my aluminum cuddy. We made it back to I-bay in pouring rain, but until we had to load up the trailer we were quite dry.In the few minutes we needed to get the boat on the trailer we were completely soaked. Back in the car we had a laugh at our adventure and decided to get back on the water at the crack of dawn or somewhere around that time. Its great to be out with my son and have fun.

Edited by rolmops

Glad to hear the motor worked good for you, that's a big load off your shoulders, and a safe return in that storm. I know mine is alright as I broke it in with a few trips on our local lake and then I changed the oil and then I took the girls tubing and that really put the smack down on the Ol'girl but she held her own and I was impressed with the performance, the only thing I noticed was I defiantly needed trim tabs, so I installed the Natica style and WHAT a difference in the way the boat handles. I'm totally impressed. Good luck and tight line to all.