Sand Fleas at Mexico and Oswego?

Anyone have any solutions to the sand flea situation. I don't even want to fish this weekend unless the problem gets better. I've been fishing LO since 1978. Been through all the invasive periods, but this year has got to be the worst yet. 

Flea Flicker might be hard to come by since they stopped making it. If you can't find any you can buy Blood Run Sea Flee. Blood Run Tackle is a sponsor on this site and you can contact them here. They only make 30lb test at the moment. We were out fishing yesterday out of Oswego and the fleas were pretty bad. The wires were loaded with them. We caught a King on one of the wires and we had to keep removing fleas in order to reel it in. That's a first for us as I have never seen so many fleas on wire line. At least you can keep your downrigger lines relatively free of fleas with the Sea Flee line.

I was there myself this past weekend and I run thr Blood Run Sea Flea. Doesnt completely stop them but in greatly reduces them to the point where you can fight the fish and there is not that many.

WD-40 on your line helped for us this past weekend! Don't be shy soak it before letting it out,and while letting it out!!! Paul

How was your catching, though? Id be wary of putting a petroleum based product full of scent on any of my lines. Seems like it might put the fish off? That and any petroleum based product will break down plastic (fishing line) eventually. Not a factor if you plan to change it out soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

How was your catching, though? Id be wary of putting a petroleum based product full of scent on any of my lines. Seems like it might put the fish off? That and any petroleum based product will break down plastic (fishing line) eventually. Not a factor if you plan to change it out soon.

WD-40 is actually used by some fishermen as an attractant.  To my understanding, it's fish oil based.

We went 4 for 7 , and used it on a Braided line, But as far as I no, WD-40 doesn't hurt the monofilament Line!

Why not Just tie on 100 ft of 40 - 50 lb mono to your existing main line, then neck back down to a 20 - 30  lb leader if you are running a spoon?  Just gotta go big enough dia. so they can't hook on.

Why not Just tie on 100 ft of 40 - 50 lb mono to your existing main line, then neck back down to a 20 - 30 lb leader if you are running a spoon? Just gotta go big enough dia. so they can't hook on.

That is an excellent idea. I will bring a spool with me when I come out for the derby and use if the fleas are still real bad.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tried 40 better try 50 they did come off 40 easier still loaded though

Same here - added 120 feet of 40 pound to the end of my 30 pound for Sunday - was better than the straight 30 pound I used Saturday, but still left a lot to be desired.

Had reports from guys out today that the fleas were not as prevalent. Time will tell, will be out Thursday and Friday this week. Good Luck.

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Rich D

The flea's were as bad today as I have seen them.  They are in a very compressed layer from 80 to 90 feet down.  So bad that they would not allow the swivels to swivel causing horrible line twist.  I have never had this happen before.  Hope they go away soon.  Getting very tired of them.  I think the fish hate them as well.