Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guppy35

Black bear with 5 cubs!

I know this is not a fishing picture, but i know most of you fisherman are also avid hunters / outdoorsmen.  My wife Carey (Owner of Carey Crooker Photography) was on a photo shoot about 2 weeks ago when this black bear appeared in the field behind her with 5 little cubs!  She was able to snap a few pictures before the bears realized they were not alone and turned back to the woods.  This picture was taken in Addison, NY.  post-143216-0-28406600-1407242898_thumb.jpg

That is really cool.  Great picture.  I had no idea bears could have that many cubs at once...I figured 2 or 3 max.

Great photo Sean :yes:  I too was unaware that they could have that many cubs at a time....usually a couple. Very cool and Carey did a great job with the photo. Best regards bud.

Haha i wondered if anybody would think that it was photo shopped because of the number of cubs.  I have never heard of or seen a bear with more than 3 cubs before.  However, i can assure you this picture is not photo shopped, i saw the picture on my wife's camera before it was even uploaded to the computer.  Although i do feel bad because i gave her a hard time before i saw the picture.  I kept insisting that "maybe it was a couple of turkeys fanned out in the field and just too far away to tell" :lol:

That's awesome!  I've never seen more then 3 cubs before.  I had a mom and 3 cubs pass by the house last week actually...

post-151421-0-99054100-1407336957_thumb.jpeg

post-151421-0-90777800-1407336968_thumb.jpeg

FleetTracker,

That is a really cool picture too, especially with the cub climbing on mom.  Thanks for sharing!

As cute as that scene is, always remember that mom can turn into a ball of fury in a heartbeat if she even thinks things are going wrong with the kiddies.

Always maintain a good distance.

We had them cross thru our upper yard a few years ago.

Very rare to see them around our area.

Wee see them quite often... They're surprisingly skittish and that's a good thing. The last thing we would want is them getting comfortable around the house. Sometimes a shotgun blast or two helps early in the season to set the stage and get them to be afraid of the property. In any case, there's always a pistol nearby - you never know what an animal like that will do.

When I used to hunt in the Adirondacks, we'd always get on high alert if you heard a large stick or branch crack.

There were a lot of Bears around last year. I'd say I saw bears at least 10 times from my house. They damaged 2 of my pear trees. I caught these 3 out my kitchen window.

post-143614-0-44347600-1427628778_thumb.jpg

post-143614-0-48780300-1427628788_thumb.jpg

Had a bear with 4 cubs in the Arkport area last year. Local DEC said one mother had been killed by a car so they took her cubs and placed them with another mother. Possible explanation for this one.

Thanks for the pics.

Make sure the yard is free of bearfood-- especially garbage cans, bird feeders and pic-a-nic baskets.