Lowrance HDS settings

hey guys, I recently put an hds 10 and 7 on my boat and am very pleased with both units, I fish deeper water (100 plus)in Ontario for kings/trout and then shallow water (100 or less)on erie for walleye and I adjust my units accordingly. I wanted to see how everyone else has they're HDS set up, last

Ontario I run 83hz, ping spead about 15-16, fishing mode general use. and adjust gain to get best picture.

Erie I run 83 or 200hz depending on depth, ping speed 16-18, fishing mode shallow water, and adjust gain to get best picture

most of the time on 200 I have a hard time seeing me riggers, but on 83 I can see them clear as day.

So, what does everyone else do with theres?

I just put a 50 on my boat last year, only had it on Ontario for 10 minutes by the time I had to "install" the right transducer so didn't get to see what it can do., I'm all ears for 50hz settings on HDS. Ive been running 200 and it works great except for the rigger tracking. I'm calling a friend tonight for some help. 

Try switches it to 50hz in deeper water, you will get a stronger signal and tighter cone, should be able to see riggers no problem unless you have a ton of blow back

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have an HDS-8 as well. I actually switched the mode to deep water fishing, the screen turned blue and performance picked up quit a bit. I like running it that way while up there. It changes all the setting around for deeper water, it worked very well. 

I'll play with all the setting next weekend on both 200 and 50 and report back. 

I fish many different bodies of water so I wanted the 83, most use a 50 on Ontario but either one will work fine. There should be a label on the cable where it connects to the back of the hds, that shows exactly which transducer model you need to select

I think mine is 83/200.. much difference between the 83 and 50?

Sensitivity is better on 50 and so is penetration, performance will suffer in deep water with the 83 due to an extremely wide cone. 

For water less than 200 ft, 200 or 83 is best, deeper 200 or 50 

200 will have the best target separation and clarity. 

I have fished out to high 500's running 200 and mark bait and fish well but not riggers, I will be playing with the 50 to see if I can get it to mark everything well 

• 3 weeks later...