Kings...what's up this year?

Oh man you guys are depressing me. I head out in a couple weeks. I need upbeat reports/theories! lol.

Seriously, even a bad yr there will beat anything my state has to offer.

Arriving the same day as the big king bite,

Spike

Oh man you guys are depressing me. I head out in a couple weeks. I need upbeat reports/theories! lol.

Seriously, even a bad yr there will beat anything my state has to offer.

Arriving the same day as the big king bite,

Spike

Same here Capt.....I'll be OTW 8/18 ( Lord willing and the creek don't rise)

Gambler has the right attitude....and my sentiments exactly too. We have gotten pretty spoiled ans we need a reminder to "smell the roses" once in awhile. :)

Gambler has it figured just right guys..And if Sk8man is right about this year stayed focused on the bright side..Very soon what ever matures are out there will be in the areas they intend to spawn at....things may explode..If not there has been lots of bait pods and lots of trout including inmatures that will be here next year...Could be one of those off years..You old timers can remember bad spawn resulted in poor fishing for matures usually 3 to 4 years later..Keep your reports coming in...Keep records on what ur seeing out there..Start a diary if u haven't done..Compare notes end of season from all over the  lake..give you all something really important to discuss here come winter..

This just goes to show without stocking of kings, natural reproduction will not always fill the void. I like fishing kings as much as the next guy but I just want to catch fish. You also have to do what you have to do to place in derbies. Do you guys enter derbies and tournies to finish middle of the pack or out of the money? I would hope not.

Edited by GAMBLER

Well - We have a crew that has a three of the same guys almost every trip - me, my son and my grandson - and then a few pickups every trip.  We have been to the lake a total of ten days and we only lost one day that we could not fish due to weather.  We caught fish every time out - but the number of mature kings is certainly fewer than we had last year.  Conversely, the number of large steelhead is up for us so we are not complaining.  We are still having a good season.  My only regret is that instead of ten days at the lake I wish it were twenty.

I hope they show up . They were late last year and later this year . I would really like to hear what the DEC and fishery biologists have to say about the lack of mature Kings . They have been

very quiet . Is VHS a factor ?  Is the fishery crashing  ?  Come on NY state ,  A little imput please .

The top 10 fish in the gosd derby on the north shore are all over 30 pounds this week so things are starting to look up. There were a couple reports of 38 pound fish caught and realeased by people not in the derby. We will see in a few weeks when the matures are all starting to show up at the river mouths.

I've seen several seasons like this over the years and they all followed a long cold winter, and a cooler then normal summer. Lots of changing currents which instead of moving the biomass in predicted directions, scatters it, moves bait around and the predators.  I found in all my records....that if the thermocline  stayed higher then the normal doldrums of summer, the fish were higher, matured faster, darkened up quicker, and I was catching big matures and more of them way up out of temp. Looking at my records in water as warm as 68 degrees consistantly. If this is happening you may be fishing under them.

. Also as far as wild fish, in the past few years (Aug 7th last year for me) good size schools of mostly unclipped fish, have run the salmon river in early to mid August in water that was in the 70's. Makes me wonder if these wild fish tolerate warmer temps....in the river, they probably do in the open lake as well.

The warmer water thing is a good point. Last week I gave up looking and just fished bait. At one point in 140 fow I was bringing a immature king to the boat and a huge king swirled at the top right next to it. I know sounds crazy for august 2 especially this year. If my buddy didn't see the same thing I did. I might not believe myself. Not sure what the temp was out of port bay. I do not have a probe. But I started in 100 ft out to 140 got all my salmon 50 ft down off the same rigger all morning.

I am trying to learn the lake game and keep my kids interested. Only get out a dozen times probably and just bought a new lowrance hd elite 4. Here are a couple questions if anyone is willing to help.

1) I am literally not marking any fish .... Is this possible. I have marked bait balls and thermocline ( I think ) but no fish.

2) Was out today for a few hours and caught two small steelies.

3) when folks are talking about "other fish" .....as easier to catch.....lakers I am assuming .....what can I do different to catch something for the kids.

I am running 2 riggers and 2 dipseys. Today ....3 spoons and one spin doctor. Speed around 2.3 and mainly between 200 and 400 feet right in front of olcott. Depth from 35-65.

Lots of boats moving around so I'm guessing not a stellar day but who knows.

Thanks for any ideas

Kings(if you run into them)will probably be deeper.say...70-110ft.maybe early in the day you may find them in 60 ft but that would be fishing the 90- 130ft range the first couple of hours of the day. lakers should be on or near bottom,but I haven't been out in a few weeks,so maybe somebody else can chime in on that.Kudos for getting the kids out there.Good luck

Ever since they cut the teelhead limit to 1 on the big lake,the steelhead fishing in the rivers has been excellent.You travel a great distance to fish here, so understanably you want it to be terrific.It will be,but we have to get through the salmon run first.Easy.....take a deep breath and it will be november before you know it.

Hi Tove ! Sure, I'll cross the Big Pond one more time (it will be my 2 nd year in Pulaski). I don't want a terrific trip. Just the fact I'll be there and some fish it's more than OK for me. Last year, I  fished late october, and the run was late for steelheads; and just don't caught any brown. I've had more day with 1 - 2 fish than 10 fish; and it was the best fishing trip of my life. 

Thanks for your reply Tove

Edited by Ben64

Ben,If its browns you want,the salmon river gets a few but you might want to try the oak 2 hrs. west for the brownies. the end of October is prime time. It can be very crowded, but weekdays there is always a little room to move around. Good luck on your trip this year.I'm sure just by your enthusiasm you will have a blast. Good luck

Traditionaly/historicaly they show up at the East end most any time now, from where I don't know, but the fishing has been tough, at least for us.

Brown Trout were the only fish we boated Saturday while fishing out of Oswego.

They should be around any time now....................hopefully.

It's been said "10% of the lake holds 90% of the fish". I'm of the opinion that the harsh winter just changed the typical 10%.

Wellington (north east corner of the lake) has had a decent season. Certainly not last years numbers but not dismal by any standard. A little different then most years but we were lucky enough to have it closer to our normal patterns then most areas. Personally, I don't think the poor season is an indication of the fishery as much as it is of the fisherman (myself included). We fish the same 10% the same way when they aren't there. I very well could be wrong but that's my thoughts for what it's worth.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk