Kings...what's up this year?

And about steelheads guys; Any good catch lately ? Do you think it will be a good year for steelies ?

We're seeing a lot of above average Steel at the Oak. They are saving our charters! Big chrome high in the water column are aggressive!

Ever since they cut the teelhead limit to 1 on the big lake,the steelhead fishing in the rivers has been excellent.You travel a great distance to fish here, so understanably you want it to be terrific.It will be,but we have to get through the salmon run first.Easy.....take a deep breath and it will be november before you know it.

The steelhead limit on the American side in the Lake is 3/person and they must be over 21". Steel fishing in the rivers is only better because they lowered the limit in the Rivers where the nonsense occurs! Also, the great King fishing the last few years in the Lake took pressure off the Steelbows. Not the case this year! They've been our bread and butter out West!

That's good news ! Nothing better than a big steelie on the swing ;)

I'm gonna try and get them all before they get to the snaggers! I'd rather they choose to end their life. Hahahahahaha

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We are all tickled pink the charters are saved at the expense of thin runs for EVERYONE else.Now I feel better!

Never will have thin runs as long as the charter association folks keep devoting their time to the pen rearing projects to help you catch more trib fish. ..just be respectful of the spawning steelhead and try not to fumble around in their nests.

Cent frum my notso smart fone

Never will have thin runs as long as the charter association folks keep devoting their time to the pen rearing projects to help you catch more trib fish. ..just be respectful of the spawning steelhead and try not to fumble around in their nests.

Cent frum my notso smart fone

I would also like to see more trib guys volunteering in these pen rearing projects! These projects benefit all of us and most of the leg work is done by the lake guys.

I would also like to see more trib guys volunteering in these pen rearing projects! These projects benefit all of us and most of the leg work is done by the lake guys.

Amen! Instead of bit$%ing, put your name on the feeding schedule. Their are a ton of steelhead in pens all along the lake.

The fish are there for everyone to catch not just the charters,heck Rick(Yankee Troller) even gives out reports on where and what

Can't understand why some guys have such a hard on for charters?Do the math!!10 charters a day,4 people,3steelhead per,x100 days......ding ding ding.we got a winner!!!All of the stream and river guys I know havn't kept a fish in years.Try to revive a steel on the lake, not gonna happen. I fish the lake,and puposefully do not target steelhead for just that reason.I don't have "a hard on" for them,I have better taste than that.I do believe they are not as interested in the fishery as much as you think,and are more about their own pockets.My opinion remains the same,many pay the price for a few to reap th profits.time will tell.

You greatly exaggerate the numbers

I have not had any issue catching and releasing steelhead in the lake

So the agenda is lake fishing isn't as important as the stream fishing?

It sounds like the hunting debate... No fair bow hunting before I get to gun hunt there won't be any left for me

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The fish are there for everyone to catch not just the charters,heck Rick(Yankee Troller) even gives out reports on where and what

Can't understand why some guys have such a hard on for charters?Do the math!!10 charters a day,4 people,3steelhead per,x100 days......ding ding ding.we got a winner!!!All of the stream and river guys I know havn't kept a fish in years.Try to revive a steel on the lake, not gonna happen. I fish the lake,and puposefully do not target steelhead for just that reason.I don't have "a hard on" for them,I have better taste than that.I do believe they are not as interested in the fishery as much as you think,and are more about their own pockets.My opinion remains the same,many pay the price for a few to reap th profits.time will tell.

This is my second go around for this fishery, I am still working on getting a boat together again, but have fished the Lake this year thanks to kindness of others and charter trips and have hit the piers and streams also.  The charter guys I know and know now are top notch guys who respect the fishery and people around them.  I have never seen charter captains as a problem or hindrance to the fishery, quite the opposite to be honest.  A extremely large majority of these guys are often kind, friendly and open about information.  They have been the ones to create many techniques for fishing the big lakes that all of us use everyday to be more successful.  These same hard working people also act as an important bellwether to the status and very changing conditions that this fishery is.  They put many hours on the lake and are well educated and often see the subtle changes occurring on the health of the fishery that many of us weekend warriors and part timers just are not tuned in enough to realize. They have a vested interest in keeping this fishery viable and extremely healthy.  Hard to line your pockets when your clients don't catch fish or catch one for the price of a full priced day charter, people just won't come back or give referrals for that type of fishing.  Come on these guys are way smarter than that.  

Not sure why guys have a hard one for charter guys but it's seems there always has been a segment that is.  Maybe a bad run in with one of the few bad ones, maybe jealousy over there success, or maybe some people have agenda issues of the harvesting of fish instead of catch and release.  Either way my advice is the same is I give my daughter, "Take care of yourself and don't worry about everybody else out there."

As far as the steelhead go, and any other species out here being caught, there is nothing wrong with harvesting fish if you make use of it and you are legally allowed to do it.  I don't eat fish and release almost all of my catch with the exception of when my wife says she would like a nice trout or salmon for her dinner.  You can have your agenda as to what makes you decide what to do with the fish you catch but don't judge me based on what I legally do, even if it conflicts with what you believe.  I don't judge your decisions!  We all pay into this fishery we all have a right to decide for ourselves as long as we stay in the regs.

truthfully I think very few people know about them

I tend to disagree with this statement. Sandy, Olcott and the oak pen projects were all here on this site. People tend to have the attitude that someone else will do it.

I tend to disagree with this statement. Sandy, Olcott and the oak pen projects were all here on this site. People tend to have the attitude that someone else will do it.

I think the traffic on this site represents a very very very very small portion of the total amount of people who fish Lake Ontario and even a smaller portion of the people who fish tributaries. They use other sites 

Also many people live nowhere near the lake so volunteering isnt much of an option

Edited by bandrus1

I think the traffic on this site represents a very very very very small portion of the total amount of people who fish Lake Ontario and even a smaller portion of the people who fish tributaries. They use other sites

Also many people live nowhere near the lake so volunteering isn't much of an option

Totally disagree. Unless your out off state, you must be in a vacuum if you haven't heard of pen projects. Most guys just wont put in any effort to at least do some homework and find someone to contact about helping. I've been involved since the first pen went in at Sandy and its the same guys every year. Lake guys.