Coast Guard safety check

Get the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Vessel Inspection and when they run your vessel numbers they will see you passed inspection and will normally pass you by.The fish & wildlife officer will usually ride along side at a distance as you show them your valid fishing license.

Edited by mostlymuskies

We were checked at the Oak last year. The Coasties followed the boat upriver and checked us after we were secured at the dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

We were boarded this past spring outside the breakwall while fishing for browns. They pulled up along side with the Zodiac, had me clear the starboard side of rods, then tied up to our front and rear cleats, put our boat in neutral and continued to troll while they towed us. We didn't have a fish up to that point. While we were checked he told us that another boat he checked was doing pretty good in close. After we were done we went in tight and limited out in no time flat. That boarding paid off!

I've only had them pull up beside me and ask to see licenses.  This year I happened to catch the Coast Guard officer as he was checking a boat at the dock beside mine.  He was going to walk away and I stopped him and asked for a check.  I've now have my port side sticker for 2014 and hope this prevents any on-the-water boarding.

I was checked twice this year 1 week apart from the first. First time they boarded me second time was in 4 footers and I just had to hold up the safety gear.

I haven't ever needed to pull lines they just get nervous when I leave the wheel and help hold their boat as they climb on board. The one guy was yelling "stay on the wheel, stay on the wheel!" I told I had autopilot and he looked baffled.

Sent from my thinking chair...