Thoughts running though my head.

I was looking to get some feedback from some people about the fishery we have. I have fished out of oak orchard for a good part of the year and its safe to say that there are a lot of fish being taken from here annually. I know the state of New York puts a lot of effort into stocking and such. I was just curious if some of you people know from first hand experience if any of the charter boats and recreational fisherman give back to the fishery in any way? I know that these guys make a living doing this but also wonder which ones will throw back a steelhead under the limit or any other fish. I know if it was me I would want to give something back like the 15 inch fish I catch for hope for a better fishery down the road. I think it's safe to say that some of these guys are just trying to send the customers home with as much meat as possible. I don't need specifics, names or anything like that I was just trying to get a better idea how many people want to see the fishery thrive and not just keep taking away from it. Thanks in advance guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fishery is good. There's always guys in this world who cheat, steal, and even lie to get by. Its a world we live in. For every guy who plays by the books, there's probably five who will not.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don't think you will find any charter boats sending illegal fish home with customers. Or keeping them on the boat for that matter. In over 30 yrs of fishing, I have had the opportunity to fish on chartered trips on all the Great Lakes (selling tackle). These guys are "Professionals" and have a lot at risk for keeping an illegal fish on the boat. In my experience, unless the client wants to take home fish, they all go back to the water. If they do decide to keep fish, they aren't keeping "dinks". 

In addition to that, there are a lot of "tournament" fisherman on here, not all are charter captians, but fish almost every single weekend. (myself included) I'm sure I can speak for others here when I tell you almost all of our fish get tossed back, especially when "practicing". I keep only enough fish to keep my freezer stocked and the rest get put back to the "fishery" to live to fight another day. 

Also, If you read some of the "pen rearing" posts on here, you will find that many of the charter captains volunteer their time to feed, care for, and release the fish raised for stocking. (I would check those posts out) They volunteer their time, boats and crew to do this.  I think the majority of captains go the extra mile to see to it that our fishery is being "preserved". After all, it is a living to them. 

Great question. We throw em all back, definatly very few big guy charters on here helping out the small guys.

Maybe it's because the big guys are busy making a living full time. These other "big guys" are who work hard at supporting the fishery. Do you think the pen projects just fund and maintain themselves?

You can give back by donating time to the Pen Rearing projects or simply cleaning up the public fishing access spots.  It suprised me this spring how many guys DO NOT help out in the pen rearing projects.  I ran the schedule for the Sandy Creek pen project and could not believe how hard it was to get people to give 20 minutes of their time to feed the fish that they will be beating up in the future. Most of the people that volunteered were the same names and some did not even fish trout and salmon.  Without volunteers and certain clubs, where would the fishery be? 

Edited by GAMBLER

You can give back by donating time to the Pen Rearing projects or simply cleaning up the public fishing access spots.  It suprised me this spring how many guys DO NOT help out in the pen rearing projects.  I ran the schedule for the Sandy Creek pen project and could not believe how hard it was to get people to give 20 minutes of their time to feed the fish that they will be beating up in the future. Most of the people that volunteered were the same names and some did not even fish trout and salmon.  Without volunteers and certain clubs, where would the fishery be? 

Totally agree Brian,

I'm heavily involved with the Olcott Pen Project and have been since we started it.  The first couple years, we had all kinds of volunteers signing up to feed, but once the novelty wore off, that completely collapsed.  Of the 3 weeks of feedings, 5 times a day, If I get a dozen time slots filled by volunteers (at least those that sign up via the feeding calendar on the LOTSA website) that's a lot.  I know that people just show up without signing up, but quite honestly, if it wasn't for the dedication of the Town of Newfane Marina Staff feeding the fish when no one is there, Our pen project couldn't exist.

Fishery is good. There's always guys in this world who cheat, steal, and even lie to get by. Its a world we live in. For every guy who plays by the books, there's probably five who will not.

I X2 that post lake bound and the pen projects, I had no doubt when the novelty got old, that's the folks that would stay with it, the same old guys and when I say old I don't mean in age, its like that with everything. Take for instance I used to have a opening day trout season at our pond, in the beginning people helped out with money, time, trucks to get the food made sure the aerators were working the feeders in the middle of the pond had food, always have people willing to paddle out and fill the feeder. Well all went well for about 5 years and then my buddies little guys were off to bigger and better things, which still was fishing just not around the kids catching fish from a pond. So I decided to keep at it with the younger generation of kids was coming along, and so we (I) kept at it till the time came with my Younger sister by 10 years younger, I'm going to cut this short, but this is the reason. The younger generation had no interest in the first class fish I had 26"-28" rainbows and the same with the golden's and of course the bass, so that kind of erked me, then when they left I got to pick up trash and the same (OLD) guys I started with came to help me clean up my sisters friends trash, she didn't even offer to help, which no surprise there. so I totally get it, I still have the fish in the pond my daughters and their friends go every now and then and it's become a novelty for me now just to see how big they will get.

My experience with Charters (friends) is they are a caring bunch who understand the waters and fishery very well . With better knowledge of their riggs and able to see a "dink" shakin a rigger ,,they are more apt to pop the rod and saftly release a small fish before it dies dragging it around..tho that does happen to every one now and again..Most pen rearing projects are in some way supported by them also. Many attend "State of the Lake" meetings or are aware of the issues by word at the docks....as with everything in life their are 10% who have no clue . that % is even higher in Washington but thats another topic............I would give the charters a "Gold Star" on this one..maybe" runnin robel " would get a black one..he he Hey Rob just got my case of "Pig Wings"

They make automatic feeders for the pens. Several of the pen projects on the Canadian side use them. We are looking into the cost and feasibility of adding them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app