Niagara Ice Boom

I think I read that they were pulling it on the 4th of April but haven't heard anything so I figured I would ask. From the picture on the site above there is still quit a bit of ice at the boom. If they let it go early what would happen, would it destroy things on it's way to the lake?

Most recent MODIS image on Coastwatch doesn't show much ice left AT ALL, except up around the river mouth. Even the big patch that has been hangin' out off Erie has broken up SIGNIFICANTLY in the last few days. Tomorrow's forecast of 70 degrees plus, rain and wind ought to do 'er in.

Guest ReelDiel
drove along the 190 today and it didnt look like the boom was there.... upper river had very little ice tho..

UPDATE...the upper river has been ice free pretty much all week....was back up there again around 7pm.....river is now completey filled with bergs.

So the boom was lifted around the same time last year if I remember right. That means we are on the same course as we were last spring putting us a week or so latter than normal I think. Let the FUN begin :mrgreen: Thanks for all the info gentlemen