Out of Hughes 8-8-14 (all day)

Adm Byrd and I were one the water about 6 AM in his Penn Yan and fished it hard today until about 6 PM tonight. We mainly worked from100 ft out to 230 or so but only connected in the 120-125 ft. range fro the most part and not all that many fish marked throughout vast areas but intermittent bait pods were there off and on mainly without any fish near them. We used a little bit of everything today (flasher/fly, Spinney/fly, wires leadcore, 200 copper, downriggers/spoons, and with dodger/spoon combos).  Initially we caught about a 6 lb brown on spoon downrigger  90 over 125, then a lull for a few  hours and then a bout a 6- 7 lb king 100 ft down over120 ft on downrigger with spoon, followed by about an 8-10 lb laker an hour or so later on the 200 copper with dipsey and flasher/fly out 300, this was followed by many hours seeing few if any fish but bait present without any hits. This afternoon we trolled for hours without seeing many fish just bait scattered about  the "marine desert". Then a 5 lb brown took an orange spoon 95 over 128 ft (downrigger) and later followed by a 15-16 lb king on that same orange spoon 115 ft over 130 ft. We again trolled for hours and around 4 PM another king (about8-10 lbs took  a flasher/fly combo. All fish released but the two largest kings didn't make it so they were boxed. All in all a fun day of fishing but very long periods between fish and a lot of disappointing fishless screens...but quite a lot of bait out there. The ball busting saved  the day for us butwe were rocking back and forth when we came off the boat from the crazy wave action today for so many hours. The fleas were there and moderately problematic in spots but not as bad as a week ago. The largest salmon had large lamprey marking on its side.

post-145411-0-50269700-1407547986_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-79509000-1407548003_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-38667700-1407548011_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Congrats on the fish I went out about 4 marked bait and some fish in40 to50 fow and again around 100 took one hit on 300 copper was off as fast as he hit it also didn't mark many fish

Congrats on your catch Les, but I can certainly understand why it was a little frustrating with the amount of water you covered, you would think there would have been a little more action, but it still beats mowing the lawn LOL :yes:  :beer:    PAP

fished with a great fisherman Paul .found some good fish 90 to 115 tonight ,75 to bottom,we took a brown about 7 lbs and had several hits but lost them.fixed stackers worked well and had a hit on a green and white spinny ,blue fly on a dipsey. stayed in close 85 to 120 were best screen.no problem with fleas,40 big game sent them away, :)  :)  :)  :)

Edited by john1947

Thanks guys. I fully agree Pap (I did the lawn the day before so I could go :lol:

I forgot to mention last night that the 30 lb Sea Flee on my downrigger lines (20 lb Seaguar fuoro leaders) stayed "fleeless" the whole time out there yesterday.

Also many of the big fish we marked were fairly high in the water column (e.g. 60 -70 ft) over whatever and most of the time we were running our stuff with the temps deeper (when we did run through them they did not hit) thinking they might be other species up in that high sixties and 70 ish water....I am now reconsidering that....I would now fish the out of temp range (60-80 ft suspended) much more vigorously over the deeper stuff with spoons and sliders. The fish that we caught came at about 2.5-2.6 mph

Edited by Sk8man

Havnt had any problems with fleas.Im using 40 lb big game.I run three rods with fixed cheaters on roamers.Its been very effective for me.Im also using #4 silver hordes on cheaters run over spin doctors,spoons or prochips.