Down rigger help

New to riggers...wondering how far back from the ball to put spin docs/flies Flashers/spoons? I have been letting out about 25' and then grabbing the line where I can (maybe a 10' rod length) and then putting it in the release...so the hardware is probably 15' behind the ball. Haven't had much luck. 1 king 17 lbs and one twice as long as my spoon. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I don't think what you are doing is necessarily the problem....just about everyone is having trouble consistently getting the fish to hit and especially the kings. Keep plugging away at it...hopefully things will pickup. You might also try snugging one set up close to the ball say 8 ft from it. I got one that way yesterday on a rigger (spoon). They seem to be going for spoons more than flies right now.

Edited by Sk8man

I agree with SK I usually run mine from 13'-20' behind ball. Its the fishing this year, the kings have been very finiky about what they want. Some weeks its spoons other times SD/fly. Keep at it and eventually you will run into the lack that wants it.

Oh I'll be out there! I refuse to give up. I'm totally into it. I'm a newbie to salmon on lake O and ran dipsies last year with only a handful of shakers to show for it. Installed Cannon Mag 10's this year and poked a teen within the first hour of trolling with the riggers...thought it was going to easy from then on. I have put a ton of hours in off Port Credit with very little to show for it. Still have lots to learn and I guess everyone is feeling that the bite is slow this year! Should have had more bites by now. I'll be out again Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Keep an eye on the low profile swivel bases. Three of four broke on me, one last year, two this year. I love the riggers but watch those bases closely. Cannon did send me four new carbon fiber bases and claim the new carbon fiber is much stronger than the lexan bases that came with my mag 10's. Those riggers scream!

You may laugh, but our best luck is running the fly 18" from the flasher and then running the flasher 3-5 feet from the ball. We used to run them 10-15 ft off the ball, but our numbers doubled after we put them in tight

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run my flies about the same distance 18-20 inches and it is very true they sometimes will nail it very close to the ball...my take on that is that they see the whole "train" as one "situation"  and it doesn't spook them I think sometimes they may be curious about the ball and come for a look and then if too far behind the line/lure or attractor/fly comes along and spooks them. Sometimes none of it makes any difference (or sense for that matter) :)

Edited by Sk8man

Mine were new last season and during our second trip, the lever you pull out to swivel the base, just broke in my hand as I tried to swivel the rigger. Cannon replaced the base under warranty. Two weeks ago checking before a trip, my son noticed one with a big crack across the face so I checked the next one and the lever disintegrated in my hand. Cannon sent me four new carbon fiber bases so time will tell. I do love their riggers though.

I'm having a ball (no pun intended) using the riggers. Less hassle then the dipsies. Glad to hear cannon stands behind their product. I guess I will experiment with distance from the ball tomorrow. Try 1 in close and 1 a little further back. I tie all my flies 18-21" as per advise from LOU nation. I have checked the bases and all is good so far. I did kink a cable yesterday so now I will have to re-rig the swivel end after I cut some back. Not looking forward to that...looks like a pain and I'm afraid I won't do it properly and send a pancake to the bottom.

I'm really new as well, and tend to keep the flashers/spin Drs pretty tight to the ball as well.   If you think about it, the spin Dr. makes a circle as it runs.   If you let it out 3' it's making a circle of a foot or so as it works.

Let it out 15', and who knows...it may be making a circle 10' across, and the fly behind it is just making the darn fish dizzy....

I just figured that the balls would spook fish so keep hardware back away from it. I will tighten everything up around 2-3' and see what happens. I guess they really don't care. Just finished mounting my GoPro camera on the pancake balls and plan on lowering it down tomorrow. May shed some light as to what is really going on. Keep you posted as to my findings...