Recently moved my home port to Port Bay. Learning the area. Seems to have been a bit slow for me the last couple weekends.

Started today in 130. Took a teenage king down 70 over150. Worked (rode) out to 320 marking few fish a little bit of bait here and there nothing to really work at. Went back into 100 and did three browns on Carmel dolphin and orange crush on 73 rigger both fixed slider up 10...

Back in to mow the lawn and maybe do some bass. Saw some guys doing smamouth? In about 30-40. May have to give that a try. Have not done them since the glory days Shipbuilders to Hedges dragging stick baits .

Looking forward to getting my Trophy up here this week maybe. Been using my 14.5 Smokercraft.

Bruce

Aka. Throbbin' Rod

Good evening everyone, looking to get up on the big lake for salmon and trout in the next month or so.  This area is the closest for me to have access to the big lake.  I have a 16 foot tiller smoker-craft and this area over to Fairhaven is a place that I would like to learn for fishing in the fall and spring.  Would anyone be willing to share some information about starting points and setups (downriggers, leadcore or dipsey).  I have spent the last two years learning to fish my home waters on the Finger Lakes and still have a long way to go.   I am willing to pay my dues and learn this area but I am somewhat concerned about how far out you have to go to find fish this time of year using a small boat.  Safety – I love to fish but no fish is worth losing your life.  Any help with starting points, how far out, what to use, what winds to look out for or winds that are favorable and time of year would be greatly appreciated.    

Thanks for the welcome! We did indeed buy the Nellis's place. Nice place as they were meticulous which other than mowing leaves me lots of time to fish. We have been up at the Oak the last seven years (the last two no boat in the water due to a bit of cancer treatment) so have been a it spoiled by deep water quick! Love the quiet of the bay and being able to fish it as well. Took my neighbors son bass fishing for his first time yesterday -he had a blast! look forward to fishing tomorrow before our last soccer game.

fishbowl836 Safety would be a big concern of mine as well. Things can happen real quick with weather. It is true that out of Port Bay or Fairhaven you have to travel a lot further out to find deep water & temp, but it can be done. Again safety is key. Read the NOAA offshore forecast also go to the following website to get a better look at what the lake is doing http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/ just go to Lake Ontario section.

Good advice reelaxin, and Bruce, also watch out for that rock just to the east of the shoot when exploring;) not ideal for lower units. Nice work grinding out that king

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the welcome! We did indeed buy the Nellis's place. Nice place as they were meticulous which other than mowing leaves me lots of time to fish. We have been up at the Oak the last seven years (the last two no boat in the water due to a bit of cancer treatment) so have been a it spoiled by deep water quick! Love the quiet of the bay and being able to fish it as well. Took my neighbors son bass fishing for his first time yesterday -he had a blast! look forward to fishing tomorrow before our last soccer game.

I have a friend 2 houses on the right from you that I visit a lot and my boats at my grandfathers right now towards West port bay road on graves point. The nellis's were good family friends of ours and I'm sure you will enjoy that house.

Lucas,

Whats your friends name.... may have met him?

Hope to be up a lot the next few weeks now that soccer is over... just in time for the fall derby.

Bruce