40 degrees 50 feet down in 500fow

hi everyone im new to the forum,had a question about water temp.I went out of sandy creek yesterday morning and started in 100fow started picking up some small fish in 110fow,fished 110 to 160 for couple hours caught 7 small fish decided to move out.got a 9lbs king in 250fow hung out awhile nothing else.Decided to try deep.Ran to 450fow  put a rigger in 50 down and water temp was 40 degrees.Im not very experinced fishing deep and first year with down temp on ball.I was wondering if it is unusual to find water that cold that close to the surface out there or if it is normal?Bye the way i trolled from 450fow to 550fow and didn't mark a thing so i pulled em and headed in

We also found temperature high on Saturday night out of Sandy in 550'. Work it long enough and I'm sure you could find fish, but it's tough running out blind. We fished for two hours and didn't move a rod. If we'd marked a single fish among the bait pods or popped just one release, we'd have probably worked it until dark, especially with the good offshore reports coming from the West end. 

When temps that high you typically wont mark much as it scatters when the boat goes over it. We fished 450-550 West of the Oak the last 4 days and it was unbelievable fishing for huge Steelbows, and some nice Kings. Troll fast and cover water. Blues were real good this weekend.