Coyote Problem?

Guppy35

Anybody else been getting more coyote pictures on their trail cameras than they care to see?  I checked two of my cameras yesterday after having them set up for a little under 2 weeks.  Had pictures / videos of 6 coyotes in that time.  That includes a 30 second video of 4 coyotes hunting together in a pack at night, so i know there are at least 4 different ones (4 more than i'd like).

What is the best way that you've found to hunt them?  I've tried a few times but without much luck.  If using an electronic caller, what kind of call is most productive at the beginning of the season?  Also, what time of day / night do you think is the best time to hunt them?

post-143216-0-36146200-1407763287_thumb.jpg

post-143216-0-01850900-1407763302_thumb.jpg

They are tough to hunt in the east. trapping will produce better results if you want to go that route. Mainly rodent, small critter distress calls in the early season. The young ones are what usually come in easier, not educated yet. Have a shot gun with you also, the siblings will tend to hang together for awhile after leaving the "nest", and multiple opportunities can occur. Bait piles work well also, use your cameras to pattern them so you don't have to sit all night waiting. Mid season use coyote vocalizations. They are pairing up and setting boundaries. Female in heat howls, lonesome howls. Late season using single or small pack howls in a pairs occupied area can bring them in for a confrontation. A couple lone howls followed a few minutes later by a distree call can lure them in also. They will protect their food sources that's for the pups later. Electronic calls-Fox pro pretty much is the best call with a big sound library, but expensive. There are some good alternatives out there for less money now. Might as well get some mouth calls and practice with them . You can add more emotion to them ,not like a set recorded call. Also buy a couple DVD's by Randy Anderson,Verminators or many other sources that you can get info from. Be patient, they are not always easy to smack, and can get down right frustrating sometimes.

I live in Beaver Dams, recently moved here. I trap coyotes, and since moving, have no places to trap. (I see your in Addison) I run about 100 sets a yr, all season and can put a hurting on coyote populations. I sell the coyotes alive, to a dealer in Endicott, he comes and pics them up once a day.(only did this one season so far, got $100 each) I would be interested trapping them, and possibly teaching you how to, if your interested. It's a lot of fun! Almost like Christmas every morning. Never know what your gonna find on the trap line! Bobcats, fishers, reds, greys, and of course Coyotes. 

I have also hunted them at night, but it can be a long night with little or no results most of the time, then there are the nights they seem to jump right in your lap. I find that mouth calls can be used with more success than electronic calls. I use a loud siren to get them to howl back and locate them. Saves a lot of time than trying to howl and get a response.  Another tip, Fresh mowed hay will bring in coyotes and fox. The hay is littered with rodents and snakes. They even run the rows in broad day light while the tractor is still mowing. I always carried a 243 with a scope when mowing hay. Its kinda like a shooting gallery some days. 

post-154630-0-96884200-1407771949_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-80114300-1407772009_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-07902500-1407772063_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-87478400-1407772118_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-17823000-1407772179_thumb.jpg

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker

Great Lakes,

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately, the area i hunt is not local, so setting a trap line and checking it every day is out of the question.  Had the land been in Addison, and i had more time on my hands, i might have taken you up on your offer.  The hunting information you and Steve.e have give will definitely be useful though.  However, with limited time, most of our coyote "hunting" will probably end up being while we are hunting deer this year.  Thanks again, and great pictures by the way!

Thanks, and Your welcome.

Another thing to consider if your gonna target coyotes. All dairy farms calve in the winter. Find one that calves outside and you hit a gold mine. All that smell of birth and the after birth makes the area a coyote magnet. During winter, coyotes will also eat manure. (I've even used it as trapping bait) I got into doing this just to help some neighbor farmers who had coyote problems and were losing calves on occasion. They were willing to let me try anything just to knock them back some.  The coyotes get so bold, that even after being shot at, would come right back into the pasture. Coyotes are most active at dawn and dusk, but I've called them in at 3 in the afternoon, and at all hrs of the night. 

Yeah, some of the pictures we have of them on our trail cameras were right in the middle of the afternoon.  And the most activity (like you said) was in a clover field a few days after it was cut.  My uncle owns a farm bordering our hunting property, and has ~ 200 sheep that will often lamb outside in the pasture.  That may be a good place to start... 

• 2 weeks later...

be careful with the live market, its not legel in ny.

Unless the person recieving the live animal has a special permit, or collectors license, issued by the state.

Which he has.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker

How about I give you the buyers name and # and you work out the details with him. He lives in Endicott. He wont come for just 1, depending on where you live. Hes an Endicott police officer, and will check your current license. You should have facilities for holding them if you plan to attempt this, unless you can get 3-5 a day. He will make the trip for them.

• 4 weeks later...

A now gone buddy of mine who was a Vietnam vet used to live right next to an abandoned gravel pit that was on the property he rented way out in the country without nearby neighbors. The coyotes drove him nuts at night so he rigged up an SKS rifle in a tripod aimed directly at the bait and set out bait and hooked a trip wire next to the bait so he let the coyotes kill themselves (not a recommended safe practice) but he eliminated a bunch of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I put a road kill deer carcas within 100yds of my house with a driveway motion sensor pointed At it. When the bell goes off I get outta bed,fold the yote on the bait and then I go back to bed! Works Great!

We do the same thing. Works great. post-150305-14129010361725_thumb.jpgpost-150305-14129010796671_thumb.jpgpost-150305-14129011127624_thumb.jpgpost-150305-1412901148581_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

How in the hell do you get them alive???? And keep them that way???

I always dispatch them at the truck, so getting them out alive and carrying them wasn't much a problem. Taping their mouth shut is at times. Zip tie the legs first. Front to hind. Then they cant get up during transport. Aside from a few nasty ones, most are timid. Easy to handle for the most part. Bobcats, they are another story....

Do you have a catch pole? 3 ft metal construction prefered. Flip them on their side and pin the head down. Get the feet first, it does something to them that sub dues them. Fore arm the neck and chin, pinch the mouth shut and tape.