Wire and 30lb big game

Moving boat up to olcott in a week or two. Going to rig up some extra rods. How much 30lb big game can I fit on a diawa 27lc? How much wire can I fit on a 27lc and will it be enough for kings?

I think the 27 H's are pretty small for the task.I can get 300 yds of 30 lb on a 47H so my hunch is you would be in the 220 yd range max on a 27H. I wouldn't run wire on the 27H because you should have a little backing as well (I know others will say you don't need it but Tuna Tom instructs folks to use some to protect the reel) and you'd want  1,000 ft of wire which would be well beyond the capacity of that reel.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion....I often have 300 ft or more of wire OUT and with 7 strand (unlike copper) you don't usually use the backing except when you think you might get spooled :lol:

On my 27H brown trout rods, I can get three reels filled from a 1/4# spool of Big Game. 30# spool has 440yds so you'd be looking at about 140yds on a reel.

If you get Opti 30# wire which is .012" you will get most of 1000 feet on it, enough to be comfortable. I have a 27ADP with this wire on it.

if you have to use the 27H's that way I'd take Broad Horizon's advice regarding the wire approach if you can all get the wire on there....whenever you can avoid knots or splices etc. it is the way to go. I'd put a few feet of 30 mono under the wire though.

Blood Run's website says it's 30 lb test wire has an .015 inch diameter. The 2nd chart down on this Mels-Place website has line diameter's for all the popular Trilene Big Game monofilament lines. Blood Run's wire has the same diameter as Big Games 15 lb test if this chart is accurate. Of course nothing beats advice from those who have already done it such as the posters above.

http://www.mels-place.com/Contents/ABCs_and_Goodies/Line_Diameters/line_diameters.htm

Edited by Thun

Thun - thanks for that chart...I hadn't seen that one before- very useful!

Tioga - iIt can be useful to do that if you get a kink aways up the one end of the wire and rather than trashing the wire reverse it and place a very small 50 lb test SPRO (#8 swivel where the kink was so it becomes the "short section" underneath the longer section of wire. I know a lot of guys would say just get a new spool but sometmes you don't feel like waiting for the FedEx truck as while in a derby :lol:

As far as transferring wire by reversing it on another reel it can be done but CAREFULLY and it should be a two person job to maintain tension on the wire at all times. You also want to start the wire straight in line with the level wind guide when you start it to prevent it going sideways on the spool.

Edited by Sk8man