kicker motor mounting

wildgooseways

have a 23 ft 8.5 ft beam deep V fiberglass boat with 5.0 liter Merc Alpha I I/O and a swimplatform!

Wish to add 20 HP 4 stroke O/B to starboard side of transom with side mounted remote controls

starboard side of cockpit. Any suggestions as to type of bracket for transom? Do I need power tilt

on kicker? Or depending on type bracket no power tilt? Recommend steering controls for I/O to O/B.

Transom is full solid with door access to swim platform! Have heard of kicker mounted to swimplatform

- anyone have this or info? Any and all info greatly appreciated. Current boat is aluminum walk-thru

with large O/B to 9.9 Pro Kicker with tiller controls and mechanical rod steering from large O/B to

kicker! Easy access from stern of boat - not so on the Deep V fiberglass I/O.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Leonard

This is my kicker mount. Obviously the motor is removed for transport, but hooks up easily, and no steering issues. I've used it with my auto pilot as well, and no issues. Very easy to make, and a lot less expensive than other options. You could make this in a couple hrs with a torch to bend metal and a welder. 

post-154630-0-23915200-1407786738_thumb.jpg

post-154630-0-84141300-1407786817_thumb.jpg

Hank just put a 25 horse 4stroke on Spoonfed's rig. The bracket also included some work on the inside  if I remember correctly. You may want to Pm Hank or Spoonfed for more information.

Thanks a bunch for all the info - just remembered boat has hydraulic power steering

on the Alpha I - steers extremely hard without engine running! How do you steer

the kicker with the I/O engine not running? If you have to leave I/O engine in neutral

at idle - pretty well negates any fuel cost savings with the kicker for trolling! Aren't

boats just great!!

Leonard

Below is a pic of my setup. I had a aluminum bracket welded together and it bolts onto my swim platform. I use a EZ-Steer system to steer the kicker. I have all forward controls mounted up front in my cockpit so I can steer main motor or kicker from same place. (I use autopilot). My bracket is a solid bracket so my kicker is power tilt/trim post-144505-14079602396635_thumb.jpgpost-144505-14079602946459_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Below is a pic of my setup. I had a aluminum bracket welded together and it bolts onto my swim platform. I use a EZ-Steer system to steer the kicker. I have all forward controls mounted up front in my cockpit so I can steer main motor or kicker from same place. (I use autopilot). My bracket is a solid bracket so my kicker is power tilt/trim attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1407960226.066161.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1407960289.645953.jpg

Now that is an impressive looking solution. Did you make, or have that made? Very nice.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Now that is an impressive looking solution. Did you make, or have that made? Very nice.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Mike's Marina did this one. They are located in Mexico

i have a 1978 9.9 johnson .I have it on my 1987 268 searay Its mounted on my swim platform with a older omc kick down bracket.I altered it by placinga 12x12 1/2 in aluminum plate on the platform bracket this allows me to lower the long shaft down low enough to geta proper bite below the boat.Ill adda pic tomorrow.I have autopilot on my merc so I keep it there for a backup.

I had Arneys in Sodus Point put a Garlick on my Pro LIne.  With a couple of mods to it I am pretty happy about it.  It is the heavy duty mount for motors up to 120 lbs.  Mine is an older 2 stroke 9,9 Mercury my brother gave me.  Has a nice big T handle on it so pretty easy to raise and lower.  The only thing I am not sold on is the steering rod set up.  Just not alot of side to side movement to it but for trolling it should be fine.  So to get around that I am thinking just fix the kicker in a fixed position as in straight ahead and using the auto pilot and main motor for a rudder to do so.

Which leads me to this question.  How do you use the auto pilot with the main motor off.  Boat has hydraulic steering too.  thanks

Thanks for all the replies! Issue resolved!

New 2015 20 HP 4 stroke engine delivered

to me yesterday, bracket from Saltboss to

be here by coming Wednesday and boat is

at service center for complete installation,

by the way Control King trolling speed control

is also being installed on the kicker.

Thanks again, Catch Em Up!

Leonard