Muskies in central basin of Lake Ontario

This is a topic that fascinates me. Seems like every 2-3 years I make a post about this. So here goes again. Has anyone heard of any muskies caught in the central basin from oak orchard to Rochester to Sodus? Even by accident?. Seems like with all the charters out there someone would get one by accident. I have heard of a few over the years off the Genesee River and once in a eon at the Oak and once at Hamlin Beach pier but really nothing confirmed with pics, just hearsay. Makes no sense to me if they are at both ends why not even a stray in the middle? Anyone got anything or heard anything other than the shark they got in the river supposedly.?

I'm with you,why none in the middle ever? Seems like a trout troller would hit one now and then but you never hear about it. I know a guy who claims to have had a smallmouth bit off by one out of sodus but no proof. In the mid 90's there were reports of musky at oak orchard. I tried there a bunch and caught lots of pike but no musky. I think a lot of musky sightings are reported by folks who saw a northern and don't know the difference. Life would be better if musky would use the whole lake but i have yet to see proof.

• Like 1

Seems like I remember someone posting a reply about this subject here before. I think it was a charter captain who said they had landed a 20 something pounder while trolling for salmonids. Or maybe that was a northern. And maybe he said he had seen it from another person........Yeah, an intriguing thing. I think it was about a northern....a big one. PLEASE. If anyone (cares) has a real picture of such an event (not a "reality show", photoshop, baloney deal), lets hear it!...or see it...

They are out there.

I believe one of the reasons very few are caught by people trolling for trout and salmon is.......While trolling for trout and salmon, our presentation is too small, and focusing on the wrong water temp.? 

Capt. Dave Wilson caught one a few seasons ago in front of Oswego.

Capt, Vince Pierleone caught one off Nine mile point/ Mexico Bay area, quite a few years ago....

That new IGFA catch and release World Record we caught last season, was in Cape Vincent, on a returning troll from the Lake Ontario side of Wolf Island.  ;)

We catch quite a few out there towards Grenadier/ Fox Islands, as well as over by Amherst and Garden Islands on the Canada side.....all areas more Lake Ontario, than St.Lawrence River. 

Here is the thing. Musky are rare, even when targeting them.

Run a bunch of 8 - 13 inch swim baits at high speeds for about 40-80 hours in prime musky feeding habitat....and see if you get a strike?   Then just maybe you will get lucky and catch one!

But don't give up there.....We trolled 600 hours last fall, for 9 musky on, and only landed 5 of them! 

That is Lake Ontario musky fishing.  :rofl:

Raaven,

Yes we know there are plenty of muskies there (relatively speaking) but the point about this post is has anyone has got any in the central basin US side primarily around Rochester east or west. We know the Niagara and St Lawrence have them as well as eastern Lake O. We're talking Oak Orchard to Sodus area. That is the big question and mystery. At this point its only heresay.

Raaven,

Yes we know there are plenty of muskies there (relatively speaking) but the point about this post is has anyone has got any in the central basin US side primarily around Rochester east or west. We know the Niagara and St Lawrence have them as well as eastern Lake O. We're talking Oak Orchard to Sodus area. That is the big question and mystery. At this point its only heresay.

With the salmon fishing as slow as it's being reported, I suggest everyone go musky fishing in that area.  :rofl:   Put a couple dozen boats trolling all day everyday for about a month ...and see what gets caught!  :lol:  :lol:

I was just pondering this today, and my curiosity brought me here.  Some answers here I guess.  Another thing I was wondering was are there any pike to be had out in the lake in this area, specifically any structure near Charlotte pier or out of I Bay to target them?  I'm new to Great Lakes trolling.

• 3 years later...

100% musky trolling in front of the Genny in fall of 2015. 25lbs buddy had it mounted. I’m drawing a blank on the lure name(I have several) but everyone knows the name of it. Fall flatline trolling for kings. I’m sure I can get a pic at some point but it’s a pretty good buddy I’ve seen the mount.

It would be nice to see a pic as its so rare in these parts. Good to hear but dont expect another one there. like winning the lottery in these parts.

• Like 1

I believe the one caught last summer out of Oswego by a salmon fisherman was a 50"+ class fish.  Obviously was not being targeted but proof that they are out there.  I had a good sized one chase my spinnerbait to the canoe years ago in blind sodus bay and also caught  a 6" fry on an eggsac one spring steelhead fishing in the SR

Had a huge mark out over 400’ (out of sandy) come up and trip the bottom rigger and stacker within 7 seconds of each other. Both lines had been cut clean several inches inches in front of the spoon. My buddy and I just stared at each other, had zero idea what fish could have done that. In looking back, we both think it was a suspended musky, but that’s total speculation.

Had a huge mark out over 400’ (out of sandy) come up and trip the bottom rigger and stacker within 7 seconds of each other. Both lines had been cut clean several inches inches in front of the spoon. My buddy and I just stared at each other, had zero idea what fish could have done that. In looking back, we both think it was a suspended musky, but that’s total speculation.
Bull Shark

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...