installing float switch for bilge pump in tight space

Lively1

I want to install a float switch for my bilge pump in my 19' Bayliner. The pump sits under the engine and there is room for the switch there also, in the proper orientation. However there is only a few inches of headroom to work under the engine, so drilling and screwing in the mount is difficult to impossible (without lifting the engine). I think epoxy might work but there is 1/2" water with a little engine oil mixed in sitting there. Suggestions?

Also, if I wire it to the existing on/off switch, then I will lose the ability to manually turn it on, right? So to keep the ability to do that I need to get a three-position switch? 

remove the water, clean with a degreaser then alcohol. A good epoxy will do just fine. I have a 3-way switch for mine,you do want to be able turn it on manually, my float turns on when water is about 2.5" deep.

You need a constant 12v to your bilge float, the float being your switch.   It doesn't really matter where it comes from.  There are a couple ways to wire a bilge but a single pole toggle will work to turn your pump on/off manually. 

here are a couple diagrams that are helpful.  They show single and two pole switch wiring methods

http://seaproforum.proboards.com/thread/1960/rule-wire-question-ground-issue

Edited by vogel451

My lobster boat had a deep keel that was only wide enough for the hose to go down. The builder used a short piece of fiberglass and mounted the pump and switch to the piece of fiberglass. Then attached the hose and fed the whole thing down into the bilge. So it was the hose that held the pump and switch in place. Similar would probably work in your case. You just need to ensure the pump would remain at the lowest level, which from what you descibe it doesn't sound like it could come up very high if it wanted to.

An option anyway.

Spike

ive done similar to what capt. spike said.ive made brackets out of aluminum or stainless,mount pump and switch to bracket and slide the whole unit where it needs to be and screw bracket down somewhere that is accessible.you may have to do some bending and shaping of the bracket to fit the contour of the hull,but it makes life alot easier to install and change them out when they crap out or to take apart to clean the screen.