Beat the storm

Kevin J Legg

I posted this earlier but don't see it so I'll try again. 

I didn't plan on fishing but when I woke at 2:00 and the weather was still good I decided to try to get one more trip in before the rain and wind.

Well, it was nothing like yesterdays bite. After making a few trolls and picking up one on a bottom bouncer I couldn't get them to fire although I cold see some lined up along a  steep wall. I decided to tie up above the wall and cast to them as they were an a small 2-10 foot deep shelf dropping straight to 30 feet. I caught a nice one on the first couple casts and caught another small keeper and lost a good one. I tried a variety deep diving  off cranks that I normally. I also put some Berkley walleye sent on the lures. 

I then tried trolling again to see if I could upgrade the one 18" but was only able to catch one short on a deep diver and no more on the bottom bouncer. Some different than yesterday but still got a limit.

post-144887-0-04299800-1407853949_thumb.jpg

You are a true fisherman Kevin, perseverance is the name of the game and you got what it takes!!! Great job on the eyes. Also I think you ought to name you boat RELENTLESS.

Yeah the new diagnosis for us fishermen is no longer OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder) it is "OCA" (Obsessive-Compulsive Addiction) :lol:

Thanks Pap as I think that's a compliment but a Facebook friend posted "You're nuts" today and sometimes my wife might agree. I call it passion, she calls it obsession!

absolutely that was a compliment, I adore your ability to get up before the chickens and seek out what might be a dangerous situation in the middle of the night by yourself, I know your 3x7 now, but be careful out there, and keep up the good work on the eyes!!

I actually believe it's much safer out there at night with no other boats than during the day with the intense boat traffic. Even on a very dark or foggy night the GPS lets me know where I am and I also know the lights on the shoreline and channel markers to help in orienting in the dark. The full moon makes it very easy. I never feel I'm put myself in any danger summer walleye fishing. Fishing and duck hunting the big lake in late season (Dec. and Jan.), now that can be dangerous. i am always cautious then and we often go out in two boats. I also have a 9.9 kicker for extra safety.Marine radi and cell phone also.

Trapper,

I was casting the same baits I troll off long lines. I've caught them casting stick baits in the shallows and shad raps in mid depths also. Kind of a spot and stalk method as you can see their eyes glow but although I've had a couple successful nights it's less reliable than trolling for me. Just another weapon in the arsenal. 

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Thanks for the info Kevin. I am hoping to go down there fri night and possibly sat morning just waiting for a buddy to let me know if he can go. I will let you know what the report is if I go maybe be headed for Coles creek shortly if I fish up there I will post.

The trick is to stalk them with no lights....if you know they are in the shallows and where, less than 6-8 fow, they are extremely catchable in front of the boat as opposed to trolling behind.  On flatter, brighter nights try to work into the moon not with it over your shoulder.  This way your boat is less silloutted against the sky when your trolling motor is on.  It might sound like im paranoid with the lights and noise, but I know what I do works. I try to slowly work with the trolling motor casting in front, and once I locate and pattern some fish I get to the spot first and anchor up.  Then I fish that bite as often as possible till its over.  Problem is finding a concentration of fish...otherwise trolling is the play.  When I started trying to target eyes casting at night from a boat I had heard guys say they used a light to spot them and then cast to them.  This has NEVER worked for me EVER!!!  It will tell you where they are, but I cant catch em after Ive seen them.  Finally I started fishing as though I KNEW they were there and bingo!  Once the eyes are below 6-8 feet I do better trolling.  Also I recommend 2-3 guys casting till you figure it out what works where that way you can throw 3 different baits.  Also I scout these spots and practice fishing them in the light...you wont catch anything but it gives you a feel for the spot and really helps you understand exactly what you are doing in the dark.  You have to know where weedlines are ect.

Great advice. Perhaps my inconsistency is do to the light. I can spot lots of fish with spot light but I know that bothers them as they slid into deeper water .My headlight doesn't seem to bother them as much but obviously must have an effect. Next time out I'll try to anchor or tie up above some of my known spots and cast without the light and see how I do with a stealthier approach. Hope it works as it would be more fun than trolling and easier on my wrist. Perhaps I'll try tomorrow.

Many time while wearing my headlight in the shallows I've see them approach my offering and turn away at the last second. i always assumed I needed something more to trigger the strike ( scent, glow or lure action, profile or color). I tried many approaches including live bait. Perhaps the issue was my light all along. I will be experimenting. Thanks for the advice.

Ive been out anchored up on the shore side of feeding eyes and bass catching several eyes an hour plus bass. A boat idles by 200 yds away and the bait and fish go SILENT and we catch nothing for 30 minutes. This has happened over a dozen times this spring/summer. Usually if i get a little lull in the action I stop casting and take a short break and let the fish move back in. This is assuming you KNOW your in the right spot exactly. I try to use a red light to net or nothing. I will say I was very hesitant to use my mast lights trolling but they werent bothered in 15 plus fow.

Kevin,

Casting is far more enjoyable IF you can find a concentration of fish in shallow. For me I need surface temps under 73-74 to get many eyes shallow enough to make it worthwhile with sticks. I gotta get better at jigging em if i wanna fish deeper without trolling.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I actually believe it's much safer out there at night with no other boats than during the day with the intense boat traffic. Even on a very dark or foggy night the GPS lets me know where I am and I also know the lights on the shoreline and channel markers to help in orienting in the dark. The full moon makes it very easy. I never feel I'm put myself in any danger summer walleye fishing. Fishing and duck hunting the big lake in late season (Dec. and Jan.), now that can be dangerous. i am always cautious then and we often go out in two boats. I also have a 9.9 kicker for extra safety.Marine radi and cell phone also.

I totally agree with you, on being better off with out the other looney's out there. I was talking to a guy who had a brand new boat with a new 115 4 stroker and he told me he just got it through a insurance deal, he and his buddy where fishing on Seneca and some guy pulling a water skier ran into him from behind and smashed his boat to the point it almost sank, knocked the motor clean off. The driver of the other boat and the skier were hurt pretty bad, he and his buddy just got like whiplash, maybe you heard of this, the older guy with the new boat is a local to our area. Just thought I'd throw that story out there.

I tried casting jigs, cranks and stick with no light this morning and got no hits. The fish were there when I looked with my light but holding a bit deeper in about 6-20 fow. I did catch my limit trolling in 30-40 fow but can't seem to consistently take them using other methods. I have sporadic success using many different techniques but can seem to find a pattern. Guess I shouldn't complain as I've had a pretty successful summer thus far.

I also agree  that engine noise and boat activity can have a negative affect. I usually troll 2-3 times over a spot and then hit another one. The deeper the water the less the problem.

Edited by Kevin J Legg