Pen Rearing Projects

I read about some of the pen projects and not enough help to maintain and mostly not enough people signing up to feed the fish. The biggest problem is that not everyone lives just up the street, if you know what I mean.

I was typing to Tim Bromond and suggested an automatic fish feeder like the feeders used for deer and he said that the folks at the Olcott Pen Rearing Project were looking into something like that.

Have any of the other pen project people thought about this? Yea, I know that people still need to fill the barrels but it would cut down on manpower needed.

$$ to buy them COULD come from proceeds from all the tournys that take place across the lake,no?

I think they use one at Fairhaven,  maybe one of those guys will read this..  They have been thinking about one for the Little salmon river steelhead pen.  Its a feeder like the one at the hatchery.

Edited by Big Dave

Going good !!  Will be up to Selkirk Sunday for two wks.   We thought a feeder would help   the steelhead pen in the Little Salmon..  The one with the hatchery feeder the fish showed better growth  then the hand fed ones.

The automatic feeders would be good but there is no reason why us fishermen (lake or trib) can not do it. Since this a volunteer project, we would have to find somewhere to store the feeders. Not always the easier thing to do.

What about posting info about pen rearing at public launches such as sandy. I have fished there for years and wouldn't begin to know where to start to find out how to help out. Yea I did just find the post about helpin out but not everyone is into the whole internet thing. Just an idea. An I am in for this sprig in lending a hand where ever needed.

If you are interested in helping out one of the many pen rearing groups along the south shore, there is a list of groups with contact names and phone numbers in OPEN LAKE DISCUSSION under the pinned topic name  "Pen Rearing Projects Information". 

They are always looking for help.

Jim