2015 NYS Winter Classic Statewide Tournament

This coming winter there will be a new tournament not only for ice anglers, but also for those fishing the open water, tributaries, rivers, etc. The NYS Winter Classic Tournament (www.NYSwinterclassic.com) will be the largest winter fishing tournament ever run in NYS! Using the current LOC tournaments and old ESLO style formats, anglers will be fishing for 7 different categories of fish (Trout (Browns, Lakers, Rainbows/Steelhead), Northern Pike, Walleye, Pickerel, Yellow Perch, Crappie, and Panfish (Sunfish & Bluegill)), from January 1st through February 22nd, on any waterway in NYS (ice, open water, rivers, etc.), with 14 weigh-in locations spread across the state (see map on website for locations), and a huge prize structure with cash payouts for 5 places in each category. Major sponsors are currently being negotiated and secured funds will be announced once finalized. Entry into the Classic is only $25/angler and $10 to enter the Lunker Pool, which will pay out 3 places per category.

This winter every day fishing will be a tourney day!! Registration is now open!! Check it out and feel free to ask questions!!

I have one of those older deep Mirrocraft 14 foot aluminum boats that I have wanted to give it a try in February for browns out in front of the Oak.  This might be the year.  That's got to be cold out there cruising the shoreline in an open metal boat. 

Edited by Jimmyi

How are you going to keep someone from bringing in fish from out of state? Sounds pretty easy to go to quinte and win the walleye division!

It may cost more in fuel/travel than its worth!

If foul play is suspected, lie detector tests can be issued. Same as the LOC - this year you could easily go over to Canada waters and have a better shot at larger kings. Again, it is worth it? You've got the border crossing (which we can request surveilance from) and if someone fails our lie detector test, that person will be on a blacklist for every tournament in the NE (ice and open water) and most across the US. Our network is HUGE. Is that worth the chance at a few thousand dollars?

Plus no matter how tight a tournament is, there is always a way to cheat. Most people will not take that chance and hopefully if anyone does, they will get caught and be put out of the game for good. Everywhere. We have a clause built in to all of our tournament events that is simple - if you think there is foul play, put your money where your mouth is for the lie detector to be given. If they fail the test, you get your money back and they are banned for good. If they pass, you helped us verify their honesty.  

So if I weigh in a fish in the ADK and place 1-3rd, with 500 entries I would need to drive to sodus for the awards ceremony? Then get slapped with a 1099? I'm gonna lose big time even if I place 1st for $250. Who would drive to that? I'm just stating that the obvious.

And about the cheating: its common place for guys to cheat ice fishing. I've seen it too many times. Play at your own risk. Sometimes I choose to ignore what might happen in an effort to have fun.

Yeah, we have quite a few. We are in negotiations with several right now and holding off on posting them until things are set. All sponsorships this year will be dual sponsorships for both the IPA events and the Winter Classic. So if you want a taste for this year's sponsor list, go to the IPA website (www.NYSiceroam.com) and you can see most of them. Although we have at least 3 new ones for this year that are not listed yet (have to finalize contracts, acquire logos, acquire sponsored goods, etc.).

So if I weigh in a fish in the ADK and place 1-3rd, with 500 entries I would need to drive to sodus for the awards ceremony? Then get slapped with a 1099? I'm gonna lose big time even if I place 1st for $250. Who would drive to that? I'm just stating that the obvious.

And about the cheating: its common place for guys to cheat ice fishing. I've seen it too many times. Play at your own risk. Sometimes I choose to ignore what might happen in an effort to have fun.

You may need to fill out a 1099 for us in the event your total winnings in all of our events total $600 or more, but unless the total value is over $600 it will not be sent in. I see us having well over 500 anglers in this event and the prize monies being fairly substantial - we're targeting over 350,000 anglers, even 1% would be substantial! Not to mention we will likely have product to supplement the prize checks and if you place 1st, you will have a 1 in 7 shot at a $1,000 bonus that we will be doing a blind drawing for from the seven 1st place finishers. Either way, it should be well worth it for the 1st through 3rd place finishers to be there. If for some reason (like you mentioned) it isn't worthwhile for an angler to attend, we will likely adjust that requirement.

• 5 weeks later...

With the huge potential this tournament has and the increasing interest in the Ice Pro-Am events, we have received a huge response from sponsors this year! Can't wait to see what the final prize structure will look like!! Registration for all tournaments is now open and can be found at www.NYSiceproam.com.

The site is up to date. Getting 200 people won't be an issue - we haven't even started our advertising campaign yet. Considering our target angler base is over 300,000 with ice, open water, rivers, etc included, there will likely be thousands of anglers registered by December. Anyone fishing this winter in NYS would be foolish not to get in this IMO!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Finders Keepers

• 1 month later...

We now have the Winter Classic set-up with online registration! Any river guides, ice angling guides, or winter charter captains, here is a great way to get your clients into a winter season tournament! We have one-day passes available for the anglers coming for a weekend or single day charter (only $10/angler), as well as the full tournament pass ($25/angler). There is no cap to the prize structure for this tournament, so the more anglers that get into it, the higher the payouts become and the larger the prizes we will be able to offer. Check out all the details on the new website at: www.NYSwinterclassic.com

Enter today and help us create a tournament that will rival the largest in the country and bring attention to our amazing fishery here in NYS. It's time anglers headed east to fish big money tournaments during the winter season!!

• 1 month later...

We now have 29 stations across the state (see map on website), with all of the eastern stations now completely set-up and taking registrations. This coming weekend we will be outfitting the rest of the state's weigh-ins. Stop in to one of the weigh-in locations for all the details or go to the tournament website: www.NYSwinterclassic.com

• 3 weeks later...