Learning all over again

So I am getting back in the game after being away since the mid 90s. Hope to be on the water of Lake Ontario(out of Sandy Creek) within the next 2 weeks. I got 2 downriggers and 2 dipsys to start with. Any suggestions or techniques to start over with? Not familiar with leadcore or copper...should I give it a go?

If its in your buget. A lead and copper set up 300' each. You can rotate a chute rod in your spread. When they start to produce, you can research big boards over the winter. Perfect timing for spring. If i had to choose. 300' copper for fall. Pike ball is a post from a few months ago. Great ideas on how to run the chute. Good Luck

this is a great place to learn If I had to start back at my first junk lines I would start with two short cores and splice in some mono between the colors that way with two rods you can run them at several differnt leanghts. they work great in the spring and can be deadly in the fall when the kings are close to shore.  in the summer they can double as a swr.  i started with a 10 color and will likely not own one again anytime soon I have a 3, 5 and 6 color and with the mono splices can turn the 3 and 6 into a 1 and 2 color I will always have those set ups available.  this year i am experimenting with a torpedo diver to run them deeper I have had limited trials so the jury is still out.  the flexability is the nice thing especially for a small boat lots of options with only one or two rods.  I'm still not sold on copper i own a 300 but it sees limited use.  i'm in it more for the sport and end up releasing more than I keep so the copper is not the ideal set  up especially i was not able to afforde a super high speed reel.

You coukd take a charter and shorten the curve. Plenty of good capt's out of that port. Tell them up front what you are looking to learn and I'm sure you'll find someone to accommodate you. It will save a lot of trial and error. Just a thought.

Shawn

First don't get all crazy with the copper, leadcore ect.....learn where to put your lures with the equipment you have now. Just make sure your diver rods have wire on them. When you get comfy with what you have, add the other stuff in time.

That's probably the best idea for me as of now. We used to run braided line on the divers. What's the purpose of wire? Is there a specific type or test I should be looking at?

Another piece of tackle I would invest in if you don't already have one is a VHF radio, not only for safety reasons but while out on the water there's usually a lot of info as to what the fish are hitting on. 

I use pretty much what you have & do well with it. My setup is 2 dipseys Flasher fly or meat & 2 0r 3 rods on riggers. Flasher fly or meat on one & a spoon 10' above & one  `10' below  & that is it this time of year.Get over fish.You do not need more than what you have to catch salmon. KISS & run what you have in the water properly.

After labor day off the mouth I like j plugs.And a lot of times I use only one rod when I am out by myself.

I have been using 65# braid the last 5 years on my dipseys & see no reason to change.

Edited by Has Been