Lake Ontario Walleye Trolling Speed

Chinook1981

I've been told that you have to troll real slow 1.5 mph or so for Oneida walleye. I don't bother with trolling because I have great success jigging but i'm told that trolling deep diving sticks is very popular at Chaumont. Do you have to troll that slow for Ontario walleye? I'll be staying on Chaumont Bay for a week at the end of the month and i'm starting to figure out a game plan. If i drag two small buckets my boat will do 1.8-2.0 mph, but not any slower. Any advice would be appreciated.

Chinook

I've caught walleyes going 2.5-3mph while reeling in boards (so the lure was probably going 4-5mph). I've also caught them on the outside board while going 3mph. After water temps hit 70 I rarely troll less than 2.5mph unless that speed seems to be more productive. Last week I caught a 28inch eye in Lake Ontario while trolling 3.5mph. There are other benifits to faster trolling speeds including covering more water. So what I'm getting at is that I dont believe you have to troll at any set speed except for the one that is producing fish at that day/time. I'm sold on the idea that you should experiment with different speeds each time you go out.

Chinook

I've caught walleyes going 2.5-3mph while reeling in boards (so the lure was probably going 4-5mph). I've also caught them on the outside board while going 3mph. After water temps hit 70 I rarely troll less than 2.5mph unless that speed seems to be more productive. Last week I caught a 28inch eye in Lake Ontario while trolling 3.5mph. There are other benifits to faster trolling speeds including covering more water. So what I'm getting at is that I dont believe you have to troll at any set speed except for the one that is producing fish at that day/time. I'm sold on the idea that you should experiment with different speeds each time you go out.

I agree 100% with this guy.  The slow speeds are usually the live-bait rigger guys.  You are going for more of a reaction strike when trolling crankbaits/stickbaits.  The walleyes will also crush your lures at these faster speeds, so they are funner to catch going fast, in my opinion!  Good luck.

Spent a lot of time trolling those waters. Troll faster wen searching for em 2.8 then slower dwn when u find em 2.2 - 2.5. Cold water is the only time I slow roll for em. You wil be trophy huntin

Nowadays I only fish where I have a chance to catch a trophy.