RUFF RIDER Sodus Live Report 2014 Aug 16-17

I just realized that I have all of my flies rigged upside down! Great video, thanks for posting

Jeez. Me too. I have all my flies tied the other way. Gr8 vid. Guess i need to cut and re tie em all.

Was catching quite a bit with em but cant wait to see if its better

Jeez. Me too. I have all my flies tied the other way. Gr8 vid. Guess i need to cut and re tie em all.

Was catching quite a bit with em but cant wait to see if its better

They will certainly work either way, I just prefer the one way as it makes a slightly better body on the fly.

Great video and instructions Nick.  It is certainly the way to do it for the commercial fly heads.  Flies will work fine the other way as well though and custom flies that are themselves actually tied work fine too. I've purposely made mine a little heavier in the head to slow them down after watching some of the videos where the fish seem to be having problems grabbing them.   Large 3 D eyes also add the dimension of movement on the head but there really isn't room for them on most commercial ones with the smaller heads. On the Finger Lakes some shortening of the fly material (commercial flies) seems to help with bows and landlocks in particular.

post-145411-0-96268700-1408363966_thumb.jpg

Interesting Sk8! How have those worked on Lake O so far? Ive seen the same thing as you on video, but its a catch22... make them easier to grab and the lack of action may not trigger the fish to strike!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nick I've had limited opportunity to use them on Ontario so far (one 10 lb laker on the trip I used one) but on the Fingers I've caught lakers, rainbows, and landlocks so far. Hoping to  give them a good test on Lake O soon. I agree with your last point too. I think there is a balance there between necessary action and them just looking especially with longer leads  I have shortened up the leads to about 18 to 20 inches too and it seems to work a bit better.

Edited by Sk8man

Why a Snell on the treble ? I put a fisherman knot because it gives me more room to grab the hook when un hooking fish without putting a nick on the snell.

Thank you for all your info on this site.

Steve

They are very similar and either will work. The fishermans knot takes just a bit longer.

Nick I've had limited opportunity to use them on Ontario so far (one 10 lb laker on the trip I used one) but on the Fingers I've caught lakers, rainbows, and landlocks so far. Hoping to give them a good test on Lake O soon. I agree with your last point too. I think there is a balance there between necessary action and them just looking especially with longer leads I have shortened up the leads to about 18 to 20 inches too and it seems to work a bit better.

Ive struggled to make heads or tails out of lengths, fly weights, etc. I just don't fish enough to make a strong conclusion backed by data that is anything other than opinion. I have found video taping my trips helps me break a lot of assumptions I make... like black dipseys work better... reviewing my videos, my fire tiger dipseys catches as many fish as my black dipsey.