Rigger in the propwash

I am considering mounting a third rigger on my boat and was considering running straight back in the exact middle of the boat. I really cant mount on the side gunnels and didnt want to offset it on the back. The question is does anyone run them right in the propwash and if so do you get much blow back? The boom is long enough that i can clear the outdrive.

It may depend on how much clearance between the out drive....you have to allow for turns and current and potential for the weight to swing back in towards the prop etc.  Running lures in the prop wash usually isn't any problem for steelies or salmon

Thanks for the quick reply. My boat is a starcraft islander and not superwide. If i mount on the side gunnels the will get in way of dipsey rods unless i shove them forward. Now thinking sell third rigger n buy copper rod n run down the shoot.

:yes:  :yes:  :yes:

I run a third rigger just like you are talking about and have not had a problem at all.

Yup zero issues. Just need a long boom and when you bring the ball into your hand to put the line in the release, make sure ball is at top of water. If you don't go in reverse you will not have an issue.lol

Hey there

yep use long boom

i got 96 beam and never had a problem

set up on the corner of the boat

2 straight back and 2 90degre out on the side

what is important is the depth at wich you set your riggers

so that they dont get tangle on a release

i always set up my Inside deeper then my outside riggers

plus dont do like   (SABONATION)

and use stiffer rod holders for your dipsys

dont use cheap plastic ones

and use long rods for your dipsys

and your dipsy rod should never be over your rigger boom

closest to the water possible

thefrenchman

Edited by thefrenchman

Sabonation ur pic helped. I was envisioning my dipsey rod going over the top of the rigger rod and causing problems when the rigger fires. Guess i just need to run the dipsey rod a little flatter

Yea we usually don't have problems running 6 rods from our 1802 trophy. Either 4 riggers and 2 dipseys, 3 riggers 2 dipseys one copper, or 3 riggers 3 dipseys. All depending on the bite. Our dipseys rods are 9.5-10.5 footlong and 15 lb cannon balls help. As always, nice gradual turns too!

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey there

yep use long boom

i got 96 beam and never had a problem

set up on the corner of the boat

2 straight back and 2 90degre out on the side

what is important is the depth at wich you set your riggers

so that they dont get tangle on a release

i always set up my Inside deeper then my outside riggers

plus dont do like (SABONATION)

and use stiffer rod holders for your dipsys

dont use cheap plastic ones

and use long rods for your dipsys

and your dipsy rod should never be over your rigger boom

closest to the water possible

thefrenchman

I'll give you the rod holders are a little cheap, but they are functional, versatile, and haven't broken in 6+ years fishing. They flex a little more than I like, but they work. This picture was taken on a rough day on a tight turn and that's the max the rods bend. If you look closely they are not over the rigger boom, but 4 feet around the outside of it. We do the best we can on a budget in a small boat to maximize lines and lures in the water. Plus I feel secure that I won't lose any rods with these holders.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

run it down the middle like scott said ,,i did it for 15 years without issue ,ya aint gonna get any blowback from prop you will notice yer pole quiver a bit due to propwash I did it with a 2ft arm for 10 years till i got a 42 in ...But my rigger was mounted only about 3 in in from back of boat(transom)...be carefull deploying ball if ya have to reach out its easy to "drop" weight or swing it back into yer transom...get a retiver line ...