Canandaigua lake report

Any news out there from anyone? I have been out with little success. Not marking many fish if at all. Fishing all depths and lures. The things is I do not see many guys fishing either. Based in the reports they are on Seneca. I guess this year is a bust for the lake. Just crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Craig- A few things come to mind - I think the fish "die-offs" have hurt the fishing here and some folks have been fishing Lake O for kings too. Seneca has been really good this year and when Lake O is too rough to get out on it is often an alternative for a lot of folks around here. Perhaps biggest factor may be the fact that Canandaigua during the height of the summer becomes almost totally a recreational boating lake taken over by the people who come here to party at the north end and who may use their boats three times per year at most and the lunatics that run their jet skiis over your lines etc. ...and then there is the very crowded channel and launch ramp at the north end which on one pariticular Sunday afternoon took us 1 1/2 hrs of circling around waiting to get into the launch because of idiots putting down their tops and buttoning up their boats right in the middle of the launch ramp. Seneca offers a much bigger "sandbox" to play in :lol:  Just my take on it...can't wait for Fall when all the yahoos are gone :)

Edited by Sk8man

mottman,

I saw you out the other day. I have been out the last 4 days with moderate succes and not marking much either. We have been averaging 5 fish per trip but the last 3 trips produced quality. 11lb laker today, 8lb rainbow yesterday and 2 bows the two days previous both over 6. Jigged until dark on Friday and landed a 10+laker jigging but the fish that showed on the graph after dark was amazing. They are there just not feeding heavy yet.

We went out again this morning and went 5 for 8. With a couple knock offs. All hits came on flasher fly. First time this year we have ran just ff. hits came in. 80 to 95 fow. First decent day this year. Hope they start Hutu g now.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great to hear guys...hopefully i will get out during the week when not so "busy" (although it didn't look too bad today for a Sunday from the looks of the trailers at the launch) I have a bunch of home made flies I'm anxious to try out on the bows. Maybe fishing in the evening may be more productive.

Got out for a few hours this afternoon from 3pm to 6pm.  Only managed one small rainbow on the FLT Bob Barker Special down 60'.  Fished north end near the drop off to German Brothers and only worked riggers.  Guess I better try the flasher fly!  Not a lot of bait and fish marked only here and there, mostly around the 50' - 60' mark.

I was using 6 pound mono. It's hard to believe how disrespectful some of boaters are. I had water splashing in over the sides of the baby whaler a couple of times from their wakes. They come right at you then decide at the last moment they need to turn because your going slow trolling.

Put out the planer boards and see how many idiots try going between you and the board oh and the kicker is when they start yelling about what an a hole and do you think you own the water your boat is on and you have no business fishing like that and why can't I go wot 75 feet from your fishing boat oh yeah the can is fun in the summer also had two girls on a jet ski trying to catch the board almost forgot that one

NYS made a big mistake by opening that launch up to allow hundreds of boats onto the Lake,...Funny with all the drinkin and party-ing...Few people run in for the potty!!

Next there will be an toxic bacteria up there from all the human waste..! Yuk,,,I hope I am wrong..!

I've seen quite a few of them tie up near the public bathrooms at the pier and use those facilities so it may not be quite as bad as thought :lol: