single hooks on your spoons?

I switched out all trebles to Mustad 3x and 5x Siwash Salmon hooks (1/0 to 3/o on all spoons and have left trebles only on stick baits and flies....They don't catch in the net as easily, better hookups, the fish can't work the hooks against each other to free himself, they are more compact in the tackle boxes, and they don't snag up on everytting as bad on the boat. I switched out approx. 1,500 to 2,000 lures but over quite a longtime buying in hundred packs.

Edited by Sk8man

The Owners Stinger hooks do and they could be just as good on freshwater fish but it doesn't say how many come in a package in the ad

Here is another alternative - http://www.amazon.com/Gamakatsu-Pack-Open-Siwash-Hook/dp/B003P9EIHO/ref=pd_sim_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=105N4QMGF1XCWCSWN2F3

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...

The spoons that you change to single will wobble more at slower speeds, however will spinout sooner as you speed up.  If you want the same action at the same speeds then you have to bend them a little.  The singles while being lighter also have less drag in the water.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Jann's has them online, they're hidden cleverly away under "salmon/egg hooks"... go figure.  Great place to get supplies in bulk. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/salmon-hooks/810614.aspx

I believe Jans Netcraft catalog has them, but its not on the web site. I couldn't find them on it, so i ordered their catalog. They have 1/0-2/0-3/0 Mustad siwash hooks. Order # 9510xxxs. 100 hooks for 30.49.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by hermit

A little tip when using these hooks as replacements - Make sure you compress the eyelet completely with pliers when you put it on the split ring otherwise it can hang upon your line or possibly come off if the opening is left large enough.

As LongLine mentioned, unless you match the weight of the single to the weight of the treble it's replacing, you will change the action of the spoon.  Sometimes you want to do this depending on the weight of the blank and what it's effective trolling speed is. 

Take an NK for example, they are a fairly heavy blank and it is almost impossible to run them too fast, but hang dead at slower speeds. Evil Eyes on the other hand are a very thin, light blank and have superb, fish catching action at slow speeds, but will spin out at the speeds an NK is effective at.  If you try running both in the same spread one or the other isn't going to be running right.

You can mitigate this to an extent by changing the weight of the hook.  A heavier hook than the stock one will allow the slower running spoon to be run effectively at higher speeds and conversely, a lighter hook will allow the heavier spoon to have action at slower speeds.  This may be something you want to do intentionally with your lures, but you have to do some on the water testing to make sure your swap doesn't mess up the action of a lure you've previously had good luck with.

Just something to consider when swapping hooks out, if you want the spoon the run the same the same way and at the speeds you are used to running it at, you need to match the weight of the new hook as closely as possible to the weight of the hook it is replacing.  I have a digital grain scale that I use for checking powder loads for reloading ammunition.  These are very sensitive and can give you a good idea how much the weight of the hooks and thereby, the affect on the action may be.

Tim makes some good points regarding weight compatibility  of hook replacement on spoons.  I look at it from a little different angle after many years of using the Mustad SS singles instead of standard trebles. Unless you go way outside the box say with a 5/0 hook on a 2 inch spoon my trolling speeds are constantly changing due to my motor cycling up and down periodically as well as my own manual speed adjustments which often are nearly continuous.  This means that the speed of the lure is never long at the original speed or action  I first tested and/or tuned  it at so there is a very wide range of speeds experienced as well as things like wind and current interactions, I try to run compatible lures (as Tim mentioned) within a broad range but I accept the fact that there will be intermittent times when any one of the spoons may be out of the optimal speed and action range - but sometimes this is what triggers fish to bite also....when the lure looks "odd" or "vulnerable" in the water and is not "synchronized" with the others and this would apply whether singles or trebles are on the spoon.  Just a different way of viewing the issue....

Edited by Sk8man

Jann's has them online, they're hidden cleverly away under "salmon/egg hooks"... go figure. Great place to get supplies in bulk. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/salmon-hooks/810614.aspx

Oh, I wouldn't doubt that. I looked thru what I thought was all of them, but I didn't see them. Im sure it was right under my nose and i missed it. But i got the catalog now, just in case.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks again without knowing all the details. Most of the spoons I inherrited were nk's and a few others I'm not sure but I did test them in the water while running. And felt much better after I had hits on both riggers. I have been marking my box at the slowest speed on each spoon as I use them. Just started really trying to have some faith in spoons this season. I have only got 4 kings on spoons this season. That's 4 more then I ever have I'm trying to keep at least one out at all times. Not counting a cheater.

Thanks again without knowing all the details. Most of the spoons I inherrited were nk's and a few others I'm not sure but I did test them in the water while running. And felt much better after I had hits on both riggers. I have been marking my box at the slowest speed on each spoon as I use them. Just started really trying to have some faith in spoons this season. I have only got 4 kings on spoons this season. That's 4 more then I ever have I'm trying to keep at least one out at all times. Not counting a cheater.